Chapter One

Rayne's POV

My alarm clock goes off but I'm already out of bed. Punctual, I tell myself, what a good thing to be. My long hair is full of knots and I don't have the time to brush it out so I put it in a messy side braid. No one cares anyways. I rush to put in my contacts since I have practice today. "Rayne! Come on!" My mom calls up the stairs.

"Almost ready." I shout back. Glancing at my watch, I curse under my breath. I practically fly down the stairs, barely making time to kiss my mom goodbye.

"Tell Andie I say hi!"

"I will!" The school is only a few blocks away, but I like getting there early to watch the soccer team practice. My fingers drag across the wired fence as I search the practice field. The girls soccer and girls lacrosse share a practice field, so soccer has to be in the morning. Andie hates that. She always complains to me about it as if I have any control over it.

"I mean, you don't even sleep anyways." She'll always say. And she's right. I don't. The coach blows the whistle and all the girls jog off the field towards the bench next to the fence. "Rainie!" Andie smiles wide as she wipes the sweat from her face. I smile back. She jogs towards me, her long, dark brown hair falling out of it's braided form.

"Hey Andie." We've been best friends since first grade because we hated eachother in kindergarten. Something about me stealing her story time spot or something like that. But we've been inseparable ever since. Plus it helps being neighbors, she lives a few houses down and across the street.

"I'm gonna go hit the showers, meet ya in Pre Calc?" I nod and she smiles again. My eyes wonder over to the boys field. They've stalled and a familiar looking hazel-eyed boy is staring at us again.

"Creeper, six o'clock." Andie rolls her eyes.

"Again?" I snicker and nod as she lets out an exasperated sigh. "Hold up." She takes a step back from the fence. "Hey, Dani!" She holds out her hand and catches a soccer ball, placing it at her feet. In one swift movement the ball is sailing through the air, hitting the guy in the small of the back.

"Matthews!" He coach yells. "Stop flirting!" Andie looks at me and covers her mouth to keep from laughing.

"Sorry coach!" She yells back as she hops the fence, following me into the school. We cross the parking lot just as two guys pull up on motorcycles. They stop right in front of us and Andie has to pull me by the arm to keep from getting hit. One guy is wearing a leather jacket with skinny jeans and the other is just in a plain white t-shirt with normal loose fitting jeans. They both take off their helmets, the white T-shirt dude winks at Andie.

"Sorry babe." She sticks out her tongue and keeps pulling me but I won't turn around yet. The guy in a leather jacket slowly turns, eyeing me. He brushes his thick brown curls out of his face and fixes the collar of his jacket. The entire time his bright green eyes don't leave mine. Andie keeps pulling me away until I finally turn around, taking a deep breath in realizing I had been holding it.

"Assholes." Andie sighs as she walks towards the locker rooms.

"I'll meet you in class." She nods me off and I head down the hallway, looking out the windows. The boy is now sitting on his bike surrounded by guys, guys I would never talk to. Just your luck, I tell myself, just think about happy thoughts. Think about math.

The bell rings and I'm in my seat. Andie, of course is late again. She always takes too long of showers. The door opens and I expect to see her, but it's the curly haired boy instead. What is he doing, I wonder, he isn't in this class. He walks cooly over to the teacher and hands him a piece of paper, then turning to leave. He looks back just as he closes the door, glancing quickly at me. Andie pushes past him, her hair damp and starting to soak through her shirt. "Excuse me." She says, putting emphasis on the 'ex' part. Flashing one of her charming smiles at the teacher, she takes a seat behind me. "Passes from Coach." She whispers into my ear. "I get to take longer showers this year."