iv. rendezvous and madam pince

( chapter iv )
─── 𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐳𝐯𝐨𝐮𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐦𝐚𝐝𝐚𝐦 𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐞

𝐈𝐓 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐌𝐔𝐂𝐇 𝐂𝐎𝐋𝐃𝐄𝐑 than one would have expected for September. Even in the Slytherin common room, bursts of cold air hit Regulus's skin every time a student entered. 

Pushing his hair out of his face and hugging his arms to his body, he gave his full attention to Lucinda Talkalot, the Slytherin quidditch captain (or at least, he made it seem like he was paying attention). Talkalot ranted about how this year must be Slytherin's year; after their embarrassing match against Hufflepuff last year, they had to lose all hope of winning the cup. Of course, the bloody Gryffindors got their hands on the trophy. 

"Well, considering many of our skilled players graduated last year, we have to fill four spots, as well as have replacements for them as well! Do you know how difficult that will be, Regulus?" Talkalot asked, frustration evident in her tone.

"It will indeed be difficult, Talkalot, but you're probably the best chance the team has this year," Regulus replied, and Talkalot beamed at the compliment. Regulus was one step closer to escaping her clutches. 

He continued, saying, "You obviously don't need a seeker and two chasers. Bletchley, you, and I have that covered. Avery might be interested in playing beater, and he wouldn't be a bad choice. But for the remaining three spots, try to look at fifth years and younger, because the team needs a few consistent players." 

"True. I saw Selwyn fooling around during last year's tryouts with his friends, and he honestly would not be a bad keeper. If I could get him to try out…" she trailed off. "Anyway, thank you, Regulus. I really needed that."

Regulus gave her a curt nod. "Of course, Talkalot."

Talkalot glanced around the common room for a second, before spotting her friends occupying an armchair and went to join them. By the time Regulus had turned around, Avery was by his side.

"I saw you and Talkalot having quite a long discussion there. Anything you want to tell your best mate?" Avery smirked.

"She's stressed about quidditch is all, Avery," Regulus replied, exasperated by his friend's reaction. 

"I don't know, Black. Seemed to me like you were chatting her up. I wouldn't be opposed to you and her together, you know," Avery cocked an eyebrow, giving Regulus a teasing grin. 

"Me? Chatting her up? I think you're forgetting the fact that she's the chatty one. It's literally in her name. And just because you're not opposed to us being together doesn't mean that I'm not opposed to being with her." Regulus glanced at the clock in the common room, and realized it was . "I'll meet you in the Great Hall for dinner; I have to go and look something up in the library."

Regulus had left the common room before Avery had the chance to respond. He was focused on his task and determined to find answers. The chatter of all the students around him dissolved into white noise. 

His head was pounding as searing images of his nightmares played in front of his eyes; his mark, Kreacher's despair; ultimately bringing shame to his family name, disgracing his parents the way Sirius did. If only he could get out of his head so he could think instead of feel.

He did not get too far with his thoughts, however, as he quickly caught himself before he stepped on a trick step. He then carefully placed his feet on the ground with slow steps, making his way to the library.

He walked up to Madam Pince, who was eyeing him cautiously. He reached into his bag and pulled out the slip Slughorn had written for him. After she had examined every inch of the paper, she gave him an annoyed look and said, "If I see or hear you causing any trouble, you will be banned from the restricted section. You're free to go."