T H I R T Y - F O U R

Alexa

This is certainly going to be an interesting day, I thought to myself.

The next morning, all of my step brothers was sitting at the kitchen table, my dad and Veronica being no where in sight. It's crazy that I'm starting to hardly see them as much, but I'm certainly not complaining about my dad being gone so often. Good riddance, I say.

Cameron grinned and gestured for me to go over to them. Zach avoided looking at me; he was just staring into his porridge. The twins smiled at me, and Ryder gave a slight wave. This seems weird.

I can't be the only one that thinks so, right? It's uncomfortable and unsettling. I mean, I'm still not even completely over the fact that Cameron is nice to me. Now all of them are being civil? What the duck is going on? I'm hoping this is not just one big giant prank, but I wouldn't put it past any of them—not with the luck that I've been having, at least.

If it's not a prank, then my step brothers are only being nice to me, not because they had a change of heart, but because of other reasons.

I found out Cameron's secret. The twins probably have ulterior motives I'm not made aware of just yet, but might soon find out. And then I saved Ryder's pathetic stupid fucking life, which scored me some brownie points with himself and the oldest River.

Those are the only reasons why they apologized to me, I thought, being a little saddened over the fact that they couldn't have accepted me as their sister from the very beginning. They wouldn't have apologized to me if I didn't find out secrets and save lives, I don't think. I'm not naive or anything. I'm going to keep my guard up around them.

I hesitantly walked up to them and forced a smile onto my face. It's been a while since I've talked to them all together. I have tried to avoid doing so. "Um, hey," I said. "Do you need something?" I say, asking Cameron, since he was the one that beckoned me over to them.

"Why don't you eat breakfast with us?" Cameron said, a warm, inviting smile onto his face.

"No," I said bluntly, not giving any reason, but just a firm, strong no. They might have poisoned the food or something. Plus, I don't want to.

"Oh come on, we insist," Jason said with a grin etched onto his face.

"I don't eat breakfast," I told him. This was true, but I had my own reasons for not eating breakfast hardly ever, and I certainly don't plan on starting it now. Why change up a perfectly good routine?

"Than just sit down and talk to us," Justin suggested, practically pushing me into the seat next to him.

Well, I guess I don't get a choice.

I huff, annoyed.

I crossed my arms as Cameron and the twins started talking about mundane noise. Zach and Ryder were uncharacteristically quiet throughout the meal. This is still very weird.

Buzz.

Shit. Fuck. Damn it.

Please no.

Everyone looked at me, including Zach who couldn't even make eye contact before with me, as my face flushed a bright, crimson red. I should have really powered off the blasted phone Elliot had given me when I had the chance to.

Fuck. I'm screwed. No one in this hell of a house hold can know—especially since there's a chance of word getting back to my father.

"Okay, that time it was very clear your lips weren't moving—" Justin started to say.

"—to make a buzz noise, Alexa," Jason finished his brother's statement. "Excuse me, Justin, why did you get the bigger portion of the sentence?"

"Because I'm awesomer," Justin said.

"Well, at least I know that awesomer isn't a word," Jason shot back.

If I leave now, I can go undetected.

"Alexa," Cameron stated, as I stood up. "Where are you going?"

Buzz.

"And what was that?" Zach finally spoke up, unfortunately. I still haven't received any form of an apology from him.

"Alexa has a secret phone," Ryder said nonchalantly, causing me to gape at him like a pufferfish.

"How did you know?" I questioned, and than covered my mouth, but I already gave myself away, and Ryder shrugged in response to my question.

"Wait, you do?" Jason said.

"Why is it secret?" Justin asked.

I shrugged sheepishly. "Fine, whatever, I do," I said. "Don't tell my dad, please."

"Okay, but who gave it to you?" Cameron asked.

Buzz.

"A friend," I answered, whipping my phone out. "I'm just going to answer this person real quick."

Michael: Alexa

Michael: Alexa

Michael: Alexa

Alexa: What

Michael: just wanted to say hi

Alexa: omfg

Michael: are you annoyed?

Alexa: What do you think???

Michael: that I win the bet I made with Jackson

Alexa: what bet

Alexa: helloooo

Alexa: michaelllll

No response. I looked up from my phone to see everyone staring at me. I sighed, putting my phone away.

"Can I go now?" I asked.

"Who was that?" Cameron questioned.

"Someone." I'm starting to get annoyed. "I'm going to go now."

"It was probably Michael or his posse," Ryder said. Oh my god, he needs to shut the hell up. "I mean, it's really Elliot's posse since he's the ring leader, but Michael is the most clingy to Alexa, I've noticed. It's rather annoying."

I never thought I'll think this, but I'm starting to miss the old Ryder. How the hell does he have this information in the first place?

"Oh, them." Cameron rolled his eyes. "I don't like them."

"We know," the other four said in sinc.

"As if I'm the only one," Cameron scoffed.

"M'kay, bye," I said. They are loads more decent than any of you could ever be.

"What'd we say?" I heard Cameron ask his brothers, as I walked out of the door, my face in a scowl.

Who's everyone's favorite character?