Chapter Twenty-Six

Anti-Cindy glared at me...before bursting out laughing. I asked her what was so funny, and she said that I was the punchline.

"You are pathetic. Absolutely pathetic. Anti-Caleb should not be wasting his precious time on you and instead should be getting me pregnant with our first child."

"Whoa there," I said. "You are going into dark territory." I let out a whoosh of air and accidentally whistled in the process. "And why in the world would you even want to get pregnant by him? He abuses you!"

"Shows what you know. He does not abuse me."

"Do you not see? You are in denial because you are afraid that he will harm you again."

"No. I am in denial because it is not true. And because I love him, and he loves me."

I took in a deep breath and let it out slowly. "Your definition of love and his definition of love are two totally different definitions. You try your very best to gain his approval, and he just spats in your face."

Anti-Cindy frowned and leaned forward. "You are such a liar. When I tell Anti-Caleb—"

I cut in. "When you tell him, and that is if you get the chance to, he will care less. And I will not be surprised if he slices your other eye."

With a shaking hand, she reached up and touched her scar, brushing her fingertips along it. It was easy to see that she was holding back the waterworks.

"He did this...on accident. He promised to never put me in harm's way again..."

As I was comforting her, I overheard a voice. All too familiar.

"Caleb?"

I lifted my head, and you will never believe who it was.

"Ash!" I said.