chapter 1

"Aria Pauline! Are you looking again at your compass again?" Chloe teasingly shouted at me. Who doesn't like compass? I mean me as a person, Aria Pauline Sanchez loves compass. Compass is something that points to a certain direction whether it's north, south, east or west. Maps are also one of my favorites! Maps and compass are a great combination when finding something, someone or something that isn't present around us. 

I really don't know what these things can do something in my life, but well? 

"No, I'm not! I'm coming!" I shouted back. 

I'm also a waiter here at McDonald's since it's a 24-hour working restaurant, I got a night shift. Just a little background on myself, I'm just a normal teenager that wants to enjoy life. Well, I had an awful past. One of which is that all the people that I cherish, adore, love and truly care, they disappeared one by one. Leaving me pain, anxiety and dangerous thoughts, I was alone because I didn't have any house because my parents left me early. But then Chloe came, and I realize that not all people are like them, some people can still stay. 

"Aria! Why are you staring at the table for so long? We have customers!" I was startled when Chloe's voice suddenly brought me back to reality. This happens when I do flashbacks, that's why I don't like them psh. "I am?" I said and looked at her with my sarcastic face and in return, she rolled her eyes on me. "Just kidding." I chuckled and went back to work.

Our boss gave us time to eat dinner, it's between 11-12 midnight. So I guess this is the perfect time to ask Chloe some things that I don't have any single idea about. "Chloe, what is love?" I started asking one. "Easy. Love is an intense feeling of deep affection." she answered without any hesitation before biting a burger. "I already know that. What I mean is what is love? How do you love? How can you feel loved? or How do you love once again even though your scared that your past might haunt you?" I asked and caught my breath. The room became silent. Was my question a little too deep? 

Minutes passed, she stood up and answered my question. "Aria, you kno-" she stopped talking as our alarm clock rang and the bell on our main door also rang. "It's the midnight boy." Chloe whispered and gave me a signal that we should be back to work.

Unexpectedly, many people had been going to the restaurant this hour. We and the other staffs are able to keep up with their orders, and they gave us a few minutes to rest. So I got the chance to ask Chloe again to continue her sentence. "So you were saying?" I immediately seated beside her because i wanted to know what she would say. 

"Aria, you know I can't answer that question. It's only you that can answer it. Why don't you try something tonight? Bring out your compass and put it here in the middle of the counter. Count for at least a minute then whatever direction it points out and whoever is in it, you should try finding love with that person." she said smiling. "Will that answer your question?" 

I answered yes and immediately tried what she said. Counted a minute, and checked what direction it is. 

"Oh! North! My favorite direction! But wait, the person who is sitting north is... the midnight boy?!"