2 | Reunion

Donghyuck's first weeks at college go relatively well. In fact, he's kind of enjoying himself. Everything's just so much more casual and free, the people far more relaxed. Being in the Performing Arts major turned out to be way more fun than expected, and he's managed to make friends with a bunch of people there, from the seniors to the international kids and everyone in-between. He's certain that it'll come back to bite him one day when he's forced to choose between sleep, studying, or having a social life, but he'll cross that bridge when he gets there.

Not to mention the job he managed to get during summer at a coffee shop. The hours are a bit tough, with shifts at the crack of dawn or ones until near midnight, but he makes it work, though he doesn't have much of a choice. He needs that money to survive, after all. Besides, a little bonding experience with Renjun as his coworker never hurt anyone, right?

Well, except Donghyuck. Renjun got pretty frustrated with him the first couple of weeks because he kept chatting up every single customer, and his spiteful ass won't let it go, as if Renjun himself isn't flirting with a regular named Chenle every time he comes around and orders a caramel macchiato. Total hypocrite.

To be honest, things are going well. Everything's slowly falling into place.

It's just another Friday, and Donghyuck's sitting on a bench on campus grounds after lectures. It's getting colder outside, but he doesn't want to stay in his cramped dorm room or go to the crowded study hall. Today, he just feels like enjoying the cool autumn air and watch people.

It's a lot better to do it here than in high school. As a freshman, few people have much of an impression of him. Thus, he doesn't have to listen to people judging him for being ugly, irresponsible, depressed, or whatever else they come up with.

There's a guy sitting under an oak tree, drawing in a notebook, occasionally looking up at a group of friends.

"He's so beautiful," the guy's voice, quiet and dreamy, says in his head.

Donghyuck chuckles. Good luck with that, dude, he thinks.

A little farther away, he spots two blond heads of hair: Jeno and Jaemin, looking disgustingly cute as usual. He's not even going to bother reading them, all he'll hear will be Jaemin thinking Jeno's the most lovable puppy he's ever met, too adorable for his own good, and Jeno just screaming in his mind in response.

Say what you will, but Donghyuck's not in the mood to hear it.

Then he sees two guys walk past him. One of them is a giant. He runs his hand through his fluffy black hair and smiles in a way that makes Donghyuck mentally take note of him. He can't lie, the guy's pretty damn attractive.

The other is a lot shorter, slighter, with sandy blond curls and round, thin-framed glasses. He's kind of cute, too, in a bit of an unsettling way. Must be a college thing for everyone to go through a glow up of some kind, almost like a rite of passage.

They're engrossed in a conversation, more like a debate, and Donghyuck thinks he'll just let them go and find someone else to read, however, he just can't shake the feeling that the guy in glasses is vaguely familiar.

Then it hits him like a ton of bricks, like the air's been punched out of his lungs.

Because he knows the guy. He knows him all too well.

It's Mark Lee. Right here. In front of him.

After being gone for three years, he has just... reappeared. Like nothing happened.

It's got to be an illusion. Last time he heard from Mark, he was having the absolute time of his life at that damn academy, succeeding at everything, liked by everyone. There hasn't been a single reason for him to return here, or at least that's what Donghyuck's been telling himself over the last couple of years.

He keeps staring, still unsure if what he's seeing is real. He's still hoping that he's just mistaken, that it's just his mind messing with him. All of that goes out the window when the guy turns his head and catches sight of Donghyuck.

He stops dead in his tracks, and turns fully towards Donghyuck. Now he sees his face properly, and it's Mark, no doubt about it. His cheekbones and jawline are a lot sharper than he remembers, and the glasses are a new addition, but it's still the same face he's known for years beyond count.

Donghyuck stands up absentmindedly, body tense as Mark considers him, a surprised look in his eyes.

"Donghyuck."

Mark's tone is warm, almost affectionate, just like the smile that blooms on his face. A wave of bitterness flows through Donghyuck. He's reminded of all the pain, the anger he felt during his high school years, and Mark still manages to smile about it.

Donghyuck really thought better of him.

"I didn't think I'd find you here. Thought I'd never see you again."

The words don't register in his mind. They don't matter anymore, anyway. He glances over to the tall guy, who's looking confused as all hell. Donghyuck feels that way, too.

"Sorry, I have to go," he mutters, and starts taking stiff steps away from the two. The emotions smolder within him, burning him up from the inside. Before he knows it, he's running, his mind spiraling out of control, the last discernible thought being the question of how he'll possibly make it through this.