6 | Hesitation

It's technically supposed to be just another Wednesday, but a strange combination of excitement and dread stirs in Donghyuck's chest. These last two days have been slow, and at the same time it felt like too little time to actually prepare.

He's still got fifteen minutes to go and he has to wait for Renjun to arrive so he can take over the shift. Speaking of, Renjun's been acting weird. They usually text or call almost every single hour of the day, but there's been complete radio silence from him ever since he had texted Donghyuck about meeting up with Chenle before class to finally ask him out.

Just then, Renjun walks in, looking worryingly lethargic, like he hasn't slept at all. He disappears for a minute in the back room, comes back, and starts working robotically.

Donghyuck puts a hand on his shoulder. "What's wrong, Jun?"

Renjun chuckles, but his face looks pained.

"Chenle rejected me. Told me he's already taken."

Donghyuck exhales sharply. "Ouch. I'm sorry, bro."

"He's going out with a fucking high school senior. Jisung Park. Dance prodigy, and the uni dance team's beloved golden child. I mean, I've met him once or twice before. Truly a gentle soul, and I get why Chenle likes him, but goddamn. Makes me feel like shit." Renjun's voice is shaking. Barely, but it's not the same as usual.

Donghyuck rubs his back reassuringly. "Just remember that there are other fish in the sea, and you'll pull through." It's not much, and he knows he sucks at providing comfort, but he tries his best, anyway.

To his slight wonder, Renjun takes it. "Yeah, I guess. Wanna go to my place after the shift to toast for this wonderful occasion?"

Donghyuck chuckles weakly. Here we go.

"Sounds fun, but... I can't tonight. Sorry."

Renjun narrows his eyes at him. "Why not?"

Donghyuck scratches the back of his head, suddenly feeling timid. "Uhm, well... I texted Mark."

Renjun nods. "Okay. And?"

"And... I'm kinda... meeting up with him today after work?"

For a moment, there's silence. Then Renjun bursts out laughing.

"Well, wasn't that easy. Although I have to ask, isn't it a little too early for a date?"

Donghyuck's jaw falls. "What?!"

"I mean, this is kind of turning into a cliché romance story, isn't it? Avoiding and being mean to a guy at first because of some hidden angst, and then realizing he's actually great and going out with him."

"It's not a date, damn it!" Donghyuck exclaims much louder than he should have, and he feels a few extra pairs of eyes on him. His face heats up a bit at that. "I'm just hanging out with an old friend. That's it."

"Alright, Hyuck, chill. No need to get so worked up." He glances over Donghyuck's shoulder. "And by the way, speaking of the devil, have fun."

At first, Donghyuck doesn't get it. It takes him several seconds to realize that Mark's standing by the pastry rack, watching the chaos unfold. To make things worse, he's amused, smiling.

Donghyuck quickly pulls Renjun aside, whispering, "Is it too late to bail out of this?"

In response, Renjun, the damn snake, smirks, shoves him into the changing room and shuts the door, leaving Donghyuck all alone to die from the uneasiness he's feeling.

That's when he knows he has no choice. Renjun will never let him hear the end of it otherwise.

Reluctantly he takes off his apron, hangs it neatly in the locker, and changes into his jacket, one of his favorites, a dark red flannel that brings out his skin tone. Running his hand through his light brown hair to get it to cooperate, he looks at himself in the mirror. All things considered, it's not too bad, even after a day of running around.