9 | Shine

"You seriously want me to wear that?" Renjun holds up a sparkly black button-down in displeasure.

"It'll look good on you."

"I'll look like a fucking disco ball. Besides," Renjun gestures to the black and white bomber jacket Donghyuck threw on, "you look like you might have just crawled out of bed." He throws the shirt onto his bed, to Donghyuck's chagrin.

"Ouch, but okay. Anyway, it's a party with seniors. A lot of people will be there. You've got to make an impression. You know what I mean?"

Renjun scoffs. "Make an impression on whom? Chenle? Complete strangers?"

"Okay, Jun, I know you're still sad, but you're not helping yourself by continuing to talk about him." Donghyuck's words fall on deaf ears, though.

"Honestly, why am I even going."

Donghyuck sighs. "Look. You were the one who was going to drag me there. It only makes sense for me to return the favor."

"Seriously?" Renjun's glaring daggers at him. If looks could kill.

"It's not gonna be that bad, I promise. Maybe you want me to set you up with someone?"

"Absolutely not. I don't need more mushy feelings creeping around."

It's a fair point, so Donghyuck moves on to his next tactic. "Alright. But if you don't come, you're gonna be leaving me alone with Jeno and Jaemin. Do you want me to suffer through that?"

Renjun rolls his eyes, his annoyance starting to show more clearly. "You have a bunch of other friends. And Mark's going. You'll be fine."

A strange rush flows through Donghyuck at the mention of Mark's name, but he wills it down, focusing on his mission to not be abandoned.

He knows Renjun's notoriously unbreakable, especially when it comes to Donghyuck and his antics, always looking about two seconds from being completely done with his shit. So he pulls out the trump card, softening his voice and eyes.

"Please? I'll take you out to dinner next weekend."

He knows he looks adorable to the point of being borderline grotesque, but it's effective. Renjun relaxes, averting his gaze, and grabs a denim jacket from his closet.

"Fine."

Works every time, Donghyuck thinks, laughing to himself.

Of course, the joy fades when they're met with what could maybe pass as the wrath, also known as the incessant whining, of Jaemin.

"Guys, I've been waiting here for, like, fifteen minutes. Have you not heard of punctuality? Kids these days, you can't rely on them at all..." He goes on, talking about not wanting to miss the fun, mentioning Jeno somewhere in there, too. As expected from Na Jaemin, the painfully stereotypical Leo mother of the group and resident professional complainer.

Both Donghyuck and Renjun lean farther into the back seat, looking completely disinterested.

"Sorry, mom," Donghyuck says. "Had to convince Renjun that he wasn't going to die."

"Why?" Jaemin turns to the back seat, his tone mellowed and genuinely confused. Renjun simply shakes his head.

"Just drive," he says coldly.

Jaemin pouts slightly, reaching over to put a hand on Renjun's knee. "If something happened, you can tell me. Can it be fixed with a hug and some hot chocolate?"

A look of pure disgust forms on Renjun's face as he inches away from the contact, and Donghyuck can't help but laugh at the spectacle. Jaemin huffs, but he's smiling, too.