Hurt Continued

That night, everyone was able to come over. Grandpa seemed overly excited to have the entire gang at his house again. They made snacks, watched movies, played games, and before long, it was past midnight. Anzu was yawning, Jou had fallen asleep and was drooling slightly into the couch, Ryou was rubbing his eyes and scrunching up his face as he tried to stay awake. Yami had been quiet for a good portion of the night, sitting comfortably on one of the chairs in the living room.

"We better call it a night." Yugi said as he stood up from the couch and stretched.

"Yeah..." Honda said with a yawn, "I'm exhausted from work this afternoon. We must be getting old... it wouldn't even be close to last call if I had ended up having to work until close. Look at this geezer..."

Honda kicked Jou lightly with his foot and Jou jumped up.
"Whoztha?" He asked blinking and looking around before realizing where he was, "Aw man, did I miss the end of the movie?"

"Yep. The butler did it." Yugi said.

"Awww Yug'! You ruined it!" Jou said loudly clutching his own face.

Yugi grinned and said dramatically, "Or is he? Dun dun duuuuun!"

Jou laughed, jumping over to give Yugi a noogie. The group of friends began to pack up. Yugi was waving them out the door before he realized that he didn't live there anymore either. He turned around to look at Yami who was picking up some of the leftover snack items.

"I'll help clean up." Said Yugi and the two of them picked up the living room in silence.

Once the trash was picked up and the leftovers packaged and put in the fridge, Yugi turned to look at Yami. The taller man had a small contented smile on his face. Yugi watched him for a short while before Yami noticed Yugi's stare. Yugi looked away quickly.

"Tonight was fun." Yami said gently.

"Y-yeah... at least there's one good thing about Anzu having to go back to New York. It's a good excuse to all hang out. It's too bad she won't be able to stay around longer..." Yugi said trying to focus on anything but Yami.

Yami gave a non-committed, "Hn."

Yugi thought about it for a moment. He knew that Anzu had always had a big crush on the Pharaoh, but he assumed she had moved on, just like Yugi. But he wondered...

"You know," Yugi said softly, "She probably still has a thing for you. And, New York has a lot of great museums."

When Yami responded, Yugi was surprised by the harshness of his tone, "What is that supposed to mean?"

Yugi looked up, Yami was frowning.

"W-What? What do you think it means?" Yugi said, suddenly feeling defensive, "She's always liked you, and well, maybe, before she left you could..."

Yami cut him off, "And what about you?"

Yugi's jaw snapped shut. His eyes met the burning crimson across the room.

"What does that mean?" Yugi asked.

"Have you forgotten that we did share a bond? I know you had feelings for Anzu. I don't know if you still do. You seem to have forgotten that I never returned her feelings. I also can't believe you would think that even if I had ever, in someway, returned her feelings that I could do that to you."

Yugi bit his lip. He was taken aback at the sincerity in Yami's voice.
"I'm just saying..." He offered weakly.

What did Yami want him to say? The two could be a good couple. Anzu was a great person. Yami had a chance at a normal life here after all... especially with the information he had found with the Book of the Living. Didn't he say that he wanted to make sure his life here was permanent before he did anything else? So now that he knew that, couldn't he pursue a relationship?