1

4.27.20: edits have been made so the story is easier to read in the future. also the writing after this chapter is much, much better, i promise.

"10!"

"9!"

"8!"

Emperor chanted as he and his friends counted down the seconds until the new year officially began.

"7!"

As he was counting, he remembered everything that had happened this year. He fought against Rider, lost against Goggles, battled in salmon run and lost Goggles, saw him come back, officially became friends with Gloves...

"HAPPY NEW YEAR!"

As he was thinking, the words were suddenly shouted in his ear, as he realized it was now the start of the new year. He cheered along with everyone else, deciding to enjoy the moment and not think.

"Hey Emperor!"

"Hm?" He noticed the shorter, other dualie-wielding boy had decided to talk to him.

To tell the truth, Emperor had started to develop feelings for the other boy. He had the optimism and some of the idiocy of Goggles, but managed to still be smart and strategic, and to be honest, he was cool.

"You're going to watch your team battle tomorrow, right?"

He was referring to the battle against Team X-Blood, which his former team, also known as Team New Emperor, was participating in.

"Yes. Why do you ask?"

"I wanted to ask if we could go together!"

Gloves looked excited, looking at the other with a hopeful and slightly begging face. How could Emperor say no to that?

"Of course." Emperor gave him a smile back, not as bright as the other's, but nonetheless genuine.