Teardrops of a Bride (Short Story)

This is a short story of Jason and Jessie. They have been together for three years, Jessie loves his fiancé so much, and willing to marry him like what his father wished for her, to be married to a man she truly loves but is Jason willing to do the same?

The sun shines brightly on the day I was excitedly waiting for. As if the sky agreed to the two people who was about to promise that they will live together for richer and for poorer, for sickness and in health and for better or for worse. Wearing a classic white bridal gown and a long veil that I inherited from my mother, I emerged from the stairs and finally entered to an old Spanish-era church. I managed to smile even though I was in tears because this is what I’m wishing for and what my dad wished for me, to be married to a man I love. The fascinating scent of white roses and the captivating ambiance of the place, welcomed me.

At the end of the red carpet, in front of the altar, there he was, standing, waiting for her bride, for me. As I reached him, I waited for him to hold my hand but he never did. How I wish that, I never look at his jet-black eyes, ‘cause instead of excitement and joy, all I can see was doubt and falsity. I felt a sudden pain like I was stabbed in the heart as he horribly said,

“I can’t do this.”

“Please, don’t do this to me Jason, please!” I tearfully pleaded but he continue to leave.

I kneeled down on the floor, trembling and released the bouquet of flower I was holding firmly. Mom was at my side, begging me to stand up while Dad had run to follow Jason. He didn’t come back. He didn’t even dare appear in front of us to apologize. Just to say sorry for my mom and dad, which I knew that the pain they feel was twice as mine.

My parents decided to drove me back home. Mom was embracing me while Dad, at the driver seat, keeps on giving me glances as if I just might collapse at any moment. We have finally reached and entered at the house, when my cellular phone rings.

A new message.

I have decided. I am not going to marry you, Jessie. I found someone who is better than you and definitely, the right woman for me. Planning to marry you is a regretful idea and such a waste of time. Goodbye!

End of the message.

It was like a knife that slowly slicing my lonesome heart into pieces. Is this is it? As sent text message was the only thing he can reason out. How coward he was.

I burst into tears again. I was at the corner, weeping. Dad had snatched the phone from my hand and read it. Then he started shouting furiously.

“I couldn’t believe this! That foul! How evil he was to do this to my daughter!”

I heard mom was forcing Dad to relax but Dad didn’t stop, he continue shouting until I heard Mom was shouting, too, crying for help.

“John! What happen, John?” she cried, “Jessie, your Dad! We need to bring him to the hospital!”

It was late.

The doctor announced that he was dead on arrival. He died from a heart attack. This is all my fault. It’s my fault that Dad had died and Mom was left widowed. I try to be strong for my mom but I could not, I cannot hide all the hurt and tears while seeing my dad lying on the coffin.

Later on, I found that Jason was a hell two-timer. He had a relationship with a woman while we’d still have commitment for three years. What a cheat he was! How fool I am not able to conceal the secret he had been hiding from the very first start.

The day of the burial came, the one last chance to see my dad. Mom was silently crying beside me, watching as the man started to cover the coffin with soil. I made up my mind to be strong just even for this day, so Mom would feel that I’m still here and that I will never leave her.

The people start to vanish as the unexpected rain started to fall. I asked a friend to accompany my mom to our house, afraid for she might get wet and be sick. Until I’m the only one left, in front of dad’s tomb, I suddenly burst into tears again. This time, I cannot control it anymore. At least now, mom would not see me because it might just add her pain.

“I’m so sorry, Dad. I know how much you love me but I let this thing happen to you. I’m sorry. Don’t worry, Dad I’ll take care of Mom for you and I promise that your wish for me will still be granted, I’ll find a man who truly deserve my love.” I tearfully said.

From somewhere, a man offered me a handkerchief and smiled at me.