chapter 1

I remember it like it was just yesterday. The porcelain tile floors, frozen under my bare tiny feet. I can see my breath as i take deep breaths, trying so hard to not be heard or seen by her, taking tiny steps and trying to not step on a creaking floorboard. I snuck around the corridor till I got to father's study. There she is. Typing in different ways to kill father, and buying different weapons on Amazon.

I watched her for what seemed like hours. I watched as the minuscule particles of dust fell upon every unread, just-for-show book that lined the walls. The single lamp that was turned on had a blood red shade on it that made the room look like a dungeon. The room's degrees was dropping by the hour. I crept into the study. In theory, the heat radiating off the lamp could warm me up. I was squatting by the dusty books and some dust went up my nose. I sneezed. Her head snapped in my direction. Her bloodshot dead eyes pierced my face, making my cheeks heat up from the shame of being caught.

"Who's that? Who's there?!" "Sorry mother. I've just woken and I came for water. I got lost and saw this light on. I... I thought it was a maid and she could get me some water." It's hard to lie when she's staring at you like if she looks away, you'll run. I probably would run away. If looks could kill, her eyes would be killing me the ways she plans to murder my father. "I'll go get you some water then" she began to smile. Was it because she was actually being friendly? Or because she was planning something? "No thank you. I'll just go to bed. Mr. Snuggles probably misses me." I said and ran back to my room.

I looked back to see if she was following me and she wasn't. I opened the door to find one of my step sisters dead. There was three Bell, Ariana, and Marlee. Ariana was resting in a pool of her own blood. Her messy dirty blonde hair was knotted with blood and spead around her head like she was madusa. Her body was positioned to where she was laying with her right arm tucked under the small of her back. Her left arm... OH MY GOD! WHERE IS HER LEFT ARM?! ...

AAAAAAAA I woke up screaming from that horrible memory of the day she died. She was only 10. I looked at the empty space where her bed used to be. "Red? What's wrong? Did you have another dream about her death?" Her eyes showed a hint of fear but were still softened with kindness. They were icy blue and stood out against her black wavy hair. She's my personal maid. Her name is Matilda. She came to us a few years ago and became just like a mother to me. My step mother didn't want to deal with me so she hired her. What a wonderful step mother i have.

"Yeah," i said with a sigh. "It gets worse every night." I then turned to look at her and her face was so close to mine. "Umm, Matilda? What are you doing?"

"Oh nothing. Sorry. I was just listening to you. It was hard to hear over your sister and that boy toy in the next room." She blushed. I knew she was lieing. When she lies she does this cute little thing where bites her lip and looks to the left. It's adorable.

"Matilda. Don't lie to me." I winked at her. She jumped back at my words and dashed towards the bathroom. What's wrong with her?