Childish.

Makoto's POV

"I'm Aoi Asahina!"

That's what she told me. The girl with the unnecessarily large amount of hairspray sticking up her ponytail, I mean. That was quite an odd encounter, actually. It ended faster than I could spit out a measly paragraph, but it did leave a large impression.

"Hey!"

What? I turn my head around to notice a girl around the same age as me wave dramatically from behind a few feet.

"Hi! Are you a freshman?" She asks me bluntly, a wide grin on plastered on her face.

I laugh awkwardly and scratch the back of my neck, nodding... carefully. 

"O-Oh, great! I'm Aoi Asahina, Super High School Level Swimmer! I figured it'd be great to get acquainted with students before the first day of school so we know each other a little better! Anyways, I wonder what kinda food they have here! For breakfast I'd suggest donuts, but they never listen to me... Oh, and-"

As she rambled on, I nervously grabbed my duffel bag and nodded to everything she said, only paying attention at the part near the end where she asked me my name.

"M-Makoto Naegi, Super High School Level Lucky Student..."

Clearly I wasn't proud of it.

But she was reassuring nonetheless, still smiling all until she'd hopped off and away to pester a kid with glasses and a hair spike somewhat similar to mine.

................................................................................................................................................................After about a half hour of socializing and searching, there it was. My dorm room. I stared at the plaque which had engraved me and my "roomie"'s names clear as day for a few seconds before shoving my key in and letting myself in.

So it was true, huh? The plaque hadn't made a mistake.

I was rooming with the esteemed and wealthy Byakuya Togami, heir to the Togami Corporation.

Wow.

"U-uhm-" As soon as I attempted to introduce myself, he'd already cut me off, taking his glasses off to clean them.

"At what point was it made acceptable for you to speak to me?" His voice rang in my ears, strong and firm. He knew what he meant and wanted, and from the looks of it, usually got what he wants.

"It wasn't. I'm sorry, sir." To be honest, I didn't expect myself to give in that easily. But lady fortune says I did, so that's how it must be, I suppose.

The only sound I receive from him is a deep breath and slight shuffling of his feet as he moved around his belongings, obviously haven taken the bottom bunk already. I suppose he's too tall for the top one. Anyways, I unload my things onto a desk to the left of the bunk bed, eyes keeping themselves down and away from the view of the heir. Let's be honest: He could buy and sell me. That's a little intimidati-

"Naegi. How tall are you?"

What? That's such a strange question to ask someone I- "Around five foot two. Why?"

"Shelves." What? "I need to decide how high to adjust your shelf to." Oh.

"Wait, I could do that myself. You don't have t-"

"This is my room as well. I'd rather you not ruin the walls on not even the first day of school." He had a bit of a bite behind his words, clearly not the affectionate type.

This should be a long year.

................................................................................................................................................................I like to think I'm a positive person. But having someone lurking over your shoulder every second of every day to pick out tiny things you do wrong could be a mood-jerker.

I'll admit, life with the heir was hard. I'd noticed a lot of things about him that you can't catch in the news articles or on television. For example, he never went home on weekends. He always has a mini lint-roller on hand, as well as portable hand sanitizer and floss. There's a heavily protected box underneath his bed that remains a mystery to this day. He gets fussy if you do the dishes or laundry "incorrectly" and will redo it while forcing you to watch him "do it right,". But behind it all, once I mastered the art of not thinking of him as scary, it gets better. Like, it's nice living in a clean space. And he's always awake late working, so I like falling asleep to the sound of him mumbling. Oh! And he does this little thing where he sits on his bed reading with his elbow on his knee, hand on his chin, and he quietly whispers the words to himself. It's.. what's an appropriate word? Relaxing? No... Cute. It's cute. He's quieted down on the nitpicking and hovering since the first day as well, so that's good. But yeah, life is getting back to normal. Quiet, peaceful, and aver-

What. Was that. 

A loud crash sounded from the kitchen, and it wasn't long before I was up and in there, gaping down at the scene in front of me. There he was, Togami, doubled over and bleeding on the ground. Although it was a small cut on his forehead, I still got nervous and grabbed a first aids kit from off the wall.

"H-hey, Togami-kun, what happened? Are you alright?" I fumble to open the kit and grab a bandaid, but he slaps away my hand that reaches for his forehead. 

"Don't touch me. Ever. Do you understand?" That bites.

I stutter and simply nod, backing away. Why was he so stubborn all the time? All I want to do is help, but he's pushing me away. "I understand." My tone is slightly colder, aggravated that he had to be so lonesome all the time. A little help never killed anyone! 

"Good. I will clean this by myself. Go to bed."

"But-"

"Go. To. Bed." He snaps, placing the bandaid onto his forehead by himself. It was strange how I'd choose to do something as childish as follow instructions given by a teenager like me, but I guess I didn't want to let him down.

I climbed into bed, finding it harder to sleep without his aggravated and tiny mumbles through the night. Childish. I'm so childish. I need someone's voice to coax me to bed.

Childish.