Countdown To Cotillion

CHAPTER 4

CHAPTER 4

"Hi, Jay. Hey. Jay. Hey, what's up?" Girls says as the VK's walk pass them.

"Hi," Jay says to them.

"Why do you torture them? Just pick someone to take to Cotillion already," Carlos says.

"I already got my Cotillion date," Jay says with a smirk as he looks at Mandy causing her to roll her eyes.

"Ah! You're the expert," Carlos says.

"You wish you were that lucky," Mandy says as she pats his cheek before she walks over to Evie and Mal.

"Um, Jay... if you were gonna ask Mandy, what's the best way to go?" Carlos asks Jay.

"Listen, all you got to do is look like me," Jay tells him causing Mandy to roll her eyes again. Mandy and Jay were best friends but would never be more than that. He is the brother she never had and her secret keeper.

"Oh, ha-ha," Carlos says.

"Mal, Mandy," Jane says as she walks over.

"Hey, Jane," Carlos says nervously.

"Hey," Jane says with a smile.

"I was wondering...uh... if you liked the.... carrot cake last night," Carlos stutters.

"I had the pumpkin pie," Jane says.

"Oh, cool. Um, uh..." Carlos starts.

"Smooth," Jay says as he pulls Carlos away causing Mandy, Mal, and Evie to smile.

"I have an opening for a fitting at 3:00," Evie says as Lonnie walks up. "Who wants it?"

"Me!" Lonnie says quickly before turning to Jane. "Sorry."

"Perfect. I'll take you later," Evie says before she and Lonnie walk off.

"Mal? Mandy?" Jane says.

"Yes?" Mandy responds.

"I hate to keep bugging you both, but the decorating committee needs more answers. So, as much as I hate to, um... you know, um..." Jane starts as Mal nods.

"Bug us?" Mal asks.

"Right," Jane says.

"Yeah, Jane, I would love to. I just have to get to class," Mal says and tries to walk off but Jane stops her.

"Hey, Jane, I got it," Mandy says giving Mal a smile.

"You know, just nod if you like it," Jane tells them.

"Okay," Mal says with a sigh.

"Chair swags. Entry banner. Twinkle lights. Napkin design. Table bunting. And you still haven't picked the party favors yet," Jane names off as Mal and Mandy just nod.

"Honestly, Jane, whatever you think..." Mal tries to say.

"I mean, we can do chains, key charms, pen toppers. I kind of love the pen toppers, but, I mean, we can do all three," Jane says really fast, stressing Mal and Mandy out. This causes Mal's eyes to flash green and Mandy's purple.

"I say pen toppers," Mandy says as they both take a deep breath.

"Yeah?" Jane asks.

"Yeah," Mal answers with a smile.

"You won't regret it," Jane says excitedly.

"Okay," Mal says with a giggle as Lonnie and Evie walk back over.

"I can hardly wait to see what your wedding will look like!" Lonnie says as Mal isn't really paying attention causing Mandy to nod excitedly.

"Me, too," Mal says before she realizes what was said. "Wait! What?!"

"The Royal Cotillion is like getting engaged to be engaged to be engaged," Jane explains.

"I knew it!" Evie says excitedly.

"Well, everyone knows it," Lonnie says as if it was obvious.

"I didn't know it!" Mal says panicked. "How come nobody told me that? Is my entire life just planned out in front of me..."

"Hi, Mal," Ben says as he wraps an arm around her waist.

"Hi, Ben," Evie, Mandy, Lonnie, and Jane all say sweetly as if nothing had happened. Mal sends them a glare before Evie, Mandy, and Lonnie walk off.

Mandy shares a smirk with Lonnie before they put on their masks and watch for the right moment.

"All right, boys. Let's line it up. Carlos, you're with me," Jay orders as he walks over to the fencing team. "Let's go. Assembler. Salute. Lower the point. Masks down. En garde." The boys line up before getting ready as they follow Jay's orders. "Keep your center!" Jay slings Carlos into the middle of all of the guys. "Eyes on your opponent! Up and over." Carlos jumps over Jay. Mandy jumps in fighting Chad, quickly disarming him.  Lonnie attacks Jay before hitting him on the butt. Mandy then disarms Carlos, Jay quickly takes his mask off as he faces Lonnie.

"Get him, Jay! Watch out, Jay. Nice!" Carlos cheers as the team watches Jay and Lonnie parry back and forth. Lonnie eventually steals Jay's sword causing Jay to have to dodge. Jay then kicks his sword out of Lonnie's hand before catching it. Mandy walks over to Lonnie, high giving before they take their masks off.

"It's Lonnie and Mandy!" Jane cheers from where the cheerleaders are watching on the balcony.

"Not bad," Jay tells the girls.

"You should put me on the team," Lonnie states and Jay looks like he would consider it. Mandy smiles as she nods at Jay.

"Hey, w...what?!" Chad says as he rushes over. "No, no, no. We'll...We'll be the laughing stock of the league. A...And what's gonna happen next? We'll have girls playing tourney? Come on, guys." Mandy rolls her eyes at the stupid prince.

"In case you forgot, I already play tourney," Mandy tells Chad with a smirk.

"So?" Jay asks confused since it was different on the Isle.

"So? Uh, so, have you not read the rule book?" Chad questions him as he pulls out a rule Book. Of course he would have one on him. "Section 2, paragraph 3, 11-4. 'A team will be comprised of a captain and eight men.'  Hmm? Why don't you read the rule book?" Chad shows the book to Lonnie and Mandy before waving it around for everyone else.

"Okay, yeah, but you're down a man! I mean, since Ben had to leave to do all that king stuff," Lonnie tries.

"Exactly. We're down a man," Chad tells her.

"Jay..." Lonnie pleads.

"I'm sorry. Coach trusts me. I'm not gonna stay captain if I just throw out the rule book," Jay explains causing Mandy to frown.

"If my mother thought that way, she would have lost the war," Lonnie tells them.

"Okay," Chad says as if it isn't that big of a deal before Lonnie  and Mandy start walking off. "Rule book. Rule book."

"All right, guys. Practice is over. Let's go," Jay says before everyone starts leaving.