Chapter 2 | A friend

-------- [2-years later] --------

The five-year-old Adelina sighed, staring blankly at the food the maids brought for lunch.

The name of her family, Corbet, was introduced somewhere at the beginning of the novel, though the actual plot starts ten years later from now. The Corbet was known for their loyalty to the emperor; the majority of their family members are either famous researchers or businessmen, with their scientific creations and advanced knowledge spread across the nation, bringing great economic development. As far as she could recall, her family was listed as one of the high-ranking noble families involved in driving the plot of the story-most likely because her 'character' was actively pursuing the male protagonist.

Unfortunately, in the end, her horrible deeds were exposed by the female protagonist, and she was sent to a faraway countryside by her family to live as a commoner. Disappointed by her actions, no one in her family visited while she was there and she died shortly from loneliness.

Even if I was the villainess, isn't it too cruel to treat me so horribly in the ending? She pouted, grabbing the spoon to eat. I understand that the bad guys get the worse endings, but she was in love! Love can change a person!

Plus, it was hard to believe that the same family would abandon me like that...

Maybe it was the naïve thoughts floating on her mind because she was physically a child, or her optimism she held in her past life, but a thought struck her.

What if I don't go after the male lead?

She paused and pursed her lips, her eyebrows furrowed deeply in thought.

The main cause of conflicts between her and Eleanor was due to her constant bullying and jealousy for Theodore's affection. Since she is not the same person as the 'villainess' anymore, all she had to do was avoid interacting with the couple and let them have their happy ending. That way, no one gets hurt!

The corner of her lips lifted into a smile and she resumed her eating happily after finally reaching a sounding conclusion.

Her personal maid, Mary, was standing nearby and smiled at Adelina, hearing the sound of her humming. "Milady seems to especially enjoy the food today. I was worried you would not like it." Adelina looked up from her meal and chuckled at her.

"How is that possible? Please let the chefs know it was delicious, as always." She returned her smile before eating the rest of her lunch.

One problem solved, more to go.

--------

Given the reputation of their family among the nobles, there were plenty of letters delivered to her parents, Duke Corbet and Duchess Corbet, ranging from tea party invitations to issues related to their duties as a noble.

So, when Adeline finally received her first invitation to a tea party, she was suddenly thrown in a world of chaos.

"Which dress looks good on her, the pink or blue?"

"The shoes don't fit! Do we have another pair of shoes to match the outfit?"

"We need more accessories!"

"Does anyone have extra hairclips?"

Adelina sighed, slouching her shoulders slightly. She was still having difficulties coming to terms with the luxury lifestyle of a noble. At least three hours have probably passed from all those preparations just to wear the dress, and she couldn't help but fidget a little, beginning to feel impatient from waiting.