Chapter 15 |

"There, there," Adelina whispered softly, patting the back of the child who seemed so small in her arms. It might sound strange, but even after knowing how to look after children, she couldn't bear to see crying children in general. There's something about it that's so heart breaking.

The children surrounded the crying boy and whispered words of comfort. Eventually, he calmed down and smiled weakly.

"I-I'm sorry, sister. We're not used to nice people." We?

"Can you tell me what happened?" She saw the hesitant faces they were giving her. "I won't tell Julia, I promise."

"You promise?" He stretched his pinky finger out.

"Promise." She said and linked her finger with his.

They took a while to reply before they started to explain everything, from how they didn't have a real bed to the kind of food they were served. How they rarely get to enter this playroom unless it's to keep appearance, everything. The mistreatments they received from the caretaker was making her mad. The more she hear, the more she wanted to take revenge for them.

And by the end of the story, Adelina was enraged. Finding Eleanor wasn't important right now; she wasn't going to let this incident slide.

"Older sister?" She snapped back to the present and at the worried looking children. These children were so young and the oldest was only nine! Almost the same age as her. She saw her hands were clenched tightly the entire time and loosened them. 

"Thank you for telling me." she said, "I can help you, but...do you think you can wait a little longer?"

They nodded.

"Now," she smiled, deciding a distraction is needed. "should we play a game?"

How should I leave? Adelina thought, seeing as she is now surrounded by the sleeping children.

After playing through a few rounds of tag, they soon fell asleep from exhaustion. One kid was sleeping on her right shoulder and another, the boy who cried earlier rested his head on her lap. She could feel her legs slowly starting to numb from sitting so long in the same position. It was almost time to leave. Should she wake them up?

"Adelina!" Her mother entered the room with a smile. "It looks like the children have gotten close to you."

She chuckled. "You can say that."

--------

By the time the sun sets, they were in the carriage and on their way back home. She was able to use this time to reflect on everything that happened today.

As far as the children knew, there isn't anyone with the name Eleanor or someone that matched her description in the orphanage.

She was disappointed at first, then her thoughts led to the children who was with her. She remembered their sad expressions and tried to think of something up, a plan that can help them.

Then her eyes met her mother's.

Yes.

Power is what she needs to protect them. She is a child now, but she might as well try if her ideas work. 

"Mother, I had enjoyed playing with them." she started off, smiling innocently. When her mother was paying attention, she began her act, "But...something is on my mind ever since we left the place."

Her mother had a look of understanding when she said that.

"Did something happen at the orphanage?" seeing her mother concerned, Adelina
continued, "I just..."

She sighed, "the children were telling me things and I wished I could help them." She began retelling their story from the start to finish. When she was done, she looked at her mother who appeared deep in thought.

"I should have known..." she heard her mumble. When she seemed to have sorted out her thoughts, she held both of her daughter's hands and gave her a reassuring smile. "Don't worry too much, Adelina. Mother is going to solve this. Everything will be alright."

Adelina nodded gratefully before replying in a soft voice. "Thank you, mother."

When her mother wasn't looking at her, a satisfied smile graced her lips. 

Good, she thought, looks like mother will find someone to investigate the matter.

--------

Adelina was with Fiona that day, enjoying another one of their reading sessions when her mother barged into her room, a letter in her hand. She was a little surprised seeing her mother in that state, but as expected, the duchess quickly regained her composure.

"We found the person in charge of the orphanage," she replied while reading the letter, "It seems like the director ran away from a huge debt and left the management to the caretaker, which is why it took a while to find the missing person."

"And...the caretaker?" she asked nervously.

"She will have to leave soon. The police are making preparations for an arrest warrant," her mother announced with a grin at the end.

That was enough for Adelina to smile.

"Hey, that's great!"

Hearing the good news, Fiona stood up from her seat and raised her hands. The two girls gave each other a high five and did a small victory dance to celebrate the moment.

Adelina was smiling from ear to ear as she listened to her mother proudly explain the details of how things were resolved behind the scenes.

And out of all the thoughts that were on her mind, there was one that stood out the most.

She couldn't wait to visit the orphanage again.