Chapter 13; Lunch

The group arrived in Strawberry sometime after lunch, and with little resistance from either man, plus the additional help deciding from the baby - who had started crying - the small group hitched their horses in front of the restaurant they had met Albert's friend at the day before and went inside. Arthur realized the possible consequences of bringing a bi-racial baby in the building right after he entered the door. He quickly did his best to hide himself and the babe behind Albert as they walked while he situated the carrier so it would cover most of her head and hair.

While he did this, Albert walked up to the counter and asked where they could sit. The manager pointed to a booth over in the corner of the room, farthest from the windows. Arthur gave a small sigh of relief and got a glance from his partner. He gestured with his eyes down to the babe in his arms and then to everyone else in the restaurant - all of whom were white. Albert's eyes widened in realization and he placed a hand on Arthur's shoulder, quickly guiding him over to the booth. Then the two sat down.

"What can I get you," asked the man, a pleasant smile adorning his face. His eyes wandered to both men and then to the babe. A curious glint appeared in his eyes.

"Water and whatever you suggest," Albert responded brightly as his eyes landed nervously on Arthur and the baby.

"Alright. How does our seasoned pork sound?"

"Perfect."

"And uh- I'll have the same thanks," Arthur met the man's eyes in hopes of keeping his attention instead of it drawing to the baby. Luckily it worked, at least until Arthur asked if they had anything like milk or soup.

"I'd suggest chicken soup. We've got milk but no bottles. Sorry."

"It's fine," Arthur said.

"What's her name?" The man's eyes drifted down to the baby, to her jet black hair and her big dark eyes and her dark skin. Arthur gulped.

"She doesn't have one," Albert said immediately in an almost panicked tone. The manager turned his attention to the photographer, and Arthur let out a relieved breath.

"We found her out in the woods up in the valley. We're hoping to find her a family," Albert explained. The man nodded slowly and glanced back at the babe before leaning in closer to the two men. Once his hands were both planted on the table, his eyes shifted to others in the room, two of whom were looking in the group's direction with curious expressions.

"Now you didn't hear this from me, but I don't suggest you try to find her family here. This town ain't known for its hospitality to Negroes. Even got a place to lynch 'em specifically. Nasty business, but it's nothing I can change-"

"We weren't plannin' on doin' that," whispered Arthur.

"We were actually thinking about going to Valentine or Emerald Ranch and try," added Albert. The man nodded thoughtfully.

"Good, and I don't think y'all should stick around, more for your safety than anyone else's." Both men nodded.

"Thank you, sir," Albert said as the man stood up fully.

"No problem. I'll bring y'all your food," he said before walking away. Both men watched him disappear into the kitchen, then turned to each other with wide eyes.

"You know, Arthur, I think we are the luckiest men alive right now," Albert said as he slouched against the booth in relief.

"I'd agree with you if it weren't for them two lookin' straight at us." Arthur nodded his head to the two men who had been watching. Their expressions had gone from curious to slightly ominous in the time that the manager had been talking. Now their eyes were scrunched suspiciously and their shoulders were hunched inwards like they are having a private conversation.

"Who do you think they are," Albert said lowly.

"If I didn't know any better I'd say they're just curious about newcomers," Arthur responded. The baby in his arms squirmed a bit and he began rubbing her stomach absently.

"But you do know better."

"I do."

"And who do you think they are?" Albert glanced at the men for a fourth time. Arthur would have called that excessive, but the photographer had at one point been a very successful journalist and knew how to be discreet when necessary. He knew his partner's muscle memory and instinct tended to kick in when they were around shady people. Albert's foot grazed his, a subtle yet protective gesture Arthur had come to expect in situations like this. He responded with a light push back before answering Albert in a whisper.

"I think they're men who're lookin' do beat up a couple o' queers and kill a baby with darker skin than their own."

"Mm," the photographer glanced at the two men again before deciding it was a good time to change the subject. "I wonder how Maggie is doing."

"I bet she's fine. I mean she's in an apartment filled with photographs and several cats, doubt she'd be bored."

"No- no I mean... You know she doesn't go out often. She only comes with us on excursions in Saint Denis because you're there." Arthur raised his eyebrows at the comment.

"I mean I get why, but really? I thought she'd at least go to the theater at least once a week. She seems like a kid who'd like the theater," he said.

"Yes, I know. I feel quite bad for her. I don't know what would have happened to her if I hadn't decided to let her stay in my house. Poor thing probably would've been beaten to death or been arrested." Worry lines began to appear on Albert's forehead, and one of his hands came up to his mouth in worry.

"Hey," Arthur said softly. His partner looked up at him with wide, concerned eyes.

"She's fine, Albert. Don't you worry. We can call her if you want when we get to Flatneck, maybe ask her if she'd like us to visit once we're done findin' this one a home." He gestured down with his eyes to the baby in his arms. Albert also looked down, nodding hesitantly in the process.

"I suppose you're right. I do think I'd like to call her at some point, though. Do we have enough for a long-distance call?"

"I think so. If I hadn't chickened out on that bounty I probably woulda gotten us at least fifty." Arthur's own optimism slipped through a gap in his brain and out the door, leaving it open for something a bit more ugly to come in and make itself at home.

"Arthur don't put yourself down about that. It's understandable why you didn't want to." Albert put a reassuring pressure on his foot with his own and gave him a warm look. In response Arthur sighed resignedly.

"I guess."

At that moment the man came back with their food. He greeted them and handed them their plates and bowl.

"Thank you," Albert said. The man smiled before leaving.

"You wanna feed 'er," Arthur asked. The photographer nodded and reached out to take the babe. Arthur carefully handed her over and watched him feed her for a moment before digging into his lunch. Once the three finished Arthur paid and they went outside.

"Are we going straight to the station or to the general store?" Albert adjusted the carrier he wore before taking the baby from Arthur.

"General store," Arthur replied as he began walking to the building. He looked back at Albert and held his hand out in a minute gesture to follow. The photographer did, and their hands brushed up against each other as they walked.