A Strange Welcome Home

The thick clouds of gas from my old truck fell out into the cold foggy air. The pine tree I leaned against was rough, even through my jacket. I heaved a sigh out, looked down, and started forward, "Maybe it's time we go to the house now, mister."

A disrupting loud purr could be heard within the deep rumbling of my truck, and my cat mewed for me to get back in the truck. I complied, and nearly crushed him in the process of getting in. He looked at me like I had insulted him when I shoved him aside.

As I started the truck, I jumped in my seat as I spooked. A thump against my truck had me look back to see a girl. Her dark hair in a French braid was all I saw until she looked up at me, her dark blue eyes seemed to be accusing me of a major crime. Something about her was off, and I couldn't quite figure out what it was, and to be honest I didn't really want to. The way her hand gripped the side of my truck told me I had no choice but to know.

"Can I help you?" I called after I rolled down the window on my passenger side. She made eye contact with me again, nodded her head, and got up into the window. The click of her tongue broke her silence, "Who are you?" she asked. Quiet, but she articulated well and had a clean way about her, as though she was immune to the mud and damp manner of the woods we were passing through. This was a girl that knew stuff, and a lot of it.

"Just a girl on her way home." I didn't want to name myself, because although it was generally a crimeless town, this girl seemed strange in a manner that made me remember that I didn't see her before she pounded against my truck bed.

"No, what is your name, and why are you here?" she pressed on. Again, she was quiet and not quite hushed, but firm. She didn't need to be loud to be demanding of others, and she knew it.

I shook my head, "Just going home, stopped by for a little break to stretch my legs." She seemed annoyed, but it was slight. Remaining calm, she reached her hand in my truck and pet my cat. Her pale hand against his black fur, she asked again, "I am Penthea. I don't mean you any harm. I just want to help you."

At this, I was taken aback, I didn't need help. "What do you mean?"

She smiled gently, shook her head, "We will be great friends, I apologize for scaring you. What is your name?" she was trying to coax me, and I was not appreciating it, however it did work.

"I'm Alathea." I didn't even really think about it, she changed her demeanor in that moment so quickly from accusatory and challenging, to soft and inviting.

Now with my name, she tested it, "Alathea, I see it now. Yes, I see it." The way she smiled knowingly had me once again remembering that she came out of nowhere and was strange.

With that in mind, I pushed. "So, Penthea, what do you want, and what are you doing out here?"

She hummed and clicked her tongue again, "I will be off now. We will be together again soon, until then, do avoid strangers who ask too many questions." When she said that, I scoffed. She was a wonderful example of a stranger that asked too many questions.

"Oh, Alathea, beware of the boy with the minty eyes. He doesn't mean any harm, but he is... less than safe." She said cryptically, and nodded, and walked off into the woods like it was normal. Her head swayed gently as she walked. I knew then that I would see her again.

Kicking off my boots, I turned on the lights in the small home I had purchased back from the same family I sold it to. A simple little cabin that would do just what I needed- be simple, small, and easy. Bringing in the few bags I had, my cat rubbed on the table that sat in the corner of the kitchen. He always seemed content and without stress, and I loved him dearly for it. He also kisses my toes at night n keeps my feet warm, and I love him for that, too.