An Abundance of Gifts

Gripping the knob of my front door, I ready myself mentally for the unknown. Swinging the door open fast, I am met by the strange girl from earlier- Penthea.

Her lips stretch into a knowing smile, "There is my best friend. I almost thought for a second you weren't gonna open up for me." Pushing her way in, she looked around.

"Just as I would expect from you." She muttered and nodded her head, "Trouble sleeping, or were you waiting up for me?"

Shaking my head, I kept quiet. To be honest, I was completely taken off guard. I had expected maybe the wolves to come and accuse me of harming the boys or maybe even a lost human, but the strange girl? Not even slightly.

Toeing the floor, I asked her, "So, what is it you want?" her answer to my simple but unyielding question would once again take me off guard.

"To be your friend, you need me, and I need you. We are fated to be companions."

"Who says I don't have great companions and that I need you?"

"The cat loves you but doesn't count. Sorry." She poopoo'd away the only companion I really do have. Yes, I know others and can socialize with them, but nobody is apart of my life, really.

Nodding my head and crossing my arms, "hmm, well. Why you? Who even are you, other than your name?" her vagueness and knowing attitude were starting to deeply irritate me; her appearing randomly and being a stranger was just the cherry on top.

Nodding her head and poking her eyes about, "Its... a lot. Maybe not all for now. Maybe not even all for a while. It will all come together when you're ready. For now, all I can say responsibly is that you aren't a freak." With that, she blew a kiss and the imaginary kiss was a deep blue, just like her beautiful eyes.

As far as I had ever known, I was alone. Try as I might, I could never quite figure out what I was. Witches had abilities, affinities, but nothing like mine. And as it seems, nothing like Pemthea's, either. She was like me.

My eyes tearing wide open, "No, wait, stop. Please, please, stop." She was leaving, half out the door, and I begged her to stay and answer more of my questions.

Looking back at me, she smiled, "Everything will come together for you, Alathea. That I promise." Gasping for air as I started to panic, I tried to follow her into the woods.

"Please, Penthea! Just tell me what you know! Please, I need you, you were right!" my voice crying out on the verge of tears fell upon deaf ears. The trees bristled in mourning for my lost opportunity at any knowledge of who I am.

Eventually as I grew exhausted from trying to chase her, my fruitless efforts ceased entirely. I sighed deeply and wept. My sobs were loud and howling. Never knowing who you are is lonely and isolating. No other supernatural knows quite what to do with you. I certainly didn't know what to do with myself.

The forest around me started to glow and come to life as the sun started to rise. I had been here crying, mourning, begging, for a long time. Getting up, I brushed off the dirt from my legs. The soil had stained my skin, and I was so exhausted I could barely walk.

The roots and ferns would trip me up as I walked back. Stumbling and struggling, it was like the woods wanted to hold me and keep me in. They knew I was struggling, and the trees leaned in and swayed and bristled. It was meant to be comforting, but it was terrifying.

Eventually it all became too much. I was overwhelmed, panting, bruised, and my knee had been torn open from falling on it so many times.

I sat down by a tree and cried out, shaking and wet cheeked. I thought everything would be oka after I got here and back to my little cabin, in a quiet little town where I could disappear. The forest reminded me that I was too hopeful, and it was sorry to do so. It is a truly unfortunate thing to never know peace.