0.7

Hospitals don't smell anything like you read in books

like you read in books. There was no disinfectant smell nor any scent of antibacterial chemicals. In fact, it reeked the stale scent of death. No remorse was giving to the victims or the caretakers. But bitter anger resides secluded within these hospital walls.

Jae Hwa bit her nails, watching Jin's life slowly dissipate as he took every stubborn breath. She left Kai with Xuan since the Chinese woman had a day off.

Jae Hwa thought it wouldn't have been good for an impressionable child to see a beaten up human, in general, at his age.

For what seemed like the hundredth time within the last hour, Jae Hwa slips her fingers through her hair, tired physically and drained emotionally.

She didn't know where they stood romantically, but platonically, it hurt to see her best friend struggle to even live. A latex mask supporting his oxygen intake.

Jae Hwa was even shocked that the nurses allowed her to visit. Didn't Jin's parents care? Why weren't they here?

Jin's beautiful face looked like a bloody pulp. If someone were to say that was the man she saw a month before, Jae Hwa would have never recognized him. 

His kind cheeks were swollen with bruises as a long abrasion covered his eyebrow to his lid. His body was all bandaged up, complete with a thin hospital sheet to cover his fragile state.

Jae Hwa couldn't stare at him too long. Wishing for something to change made her heartsick. Wishing for him to hate her, love her, become her friend again was all too much.

"Why did I even come?" Jae Hwa chuckled dryly.

It was her fault that landed Jin here, nearly dead in the first place. She was a murderer in disguise. Jae Hwa was disgusted with herself. 

He's been in that bed for over a week...

Jae Hwa slowly got up, brushing chip crumbs off of her pants. She has been there quite some time, long enough that she needed a simple snack.

Jae Hwa creeps out towards the exit, a small moan interfering with her plans to leave.

"Is that you?" Jae Hwa twirls back her heel, inching cautiously to the broken male. His eyes so blue and swollen shut, she was almost positive he could not see anything.

"It depends on who you wanted." Quips Jae Hwa, she sits back at the chair, sighing softly.

Jin's lip quirked very slightly, his eyes closed before wincing. "I'm just glad you're okay."

Jae Hwa couldn't hold in her discontent anymore, "Why?" Her lip quivering, "Why'd you save me?"

Jin's gulps loudly, his throat dry from lack of water. "You have that boy, Kai, back at home? He'll really miss you."

Jae Hwa's heart sinks to her stomach. Maybe she had been expecting a different response.

"Thank you." She bows but Jin just smiles.