Chapter Five: Reed

I was in trouble and no mistake.

I'd meant what I said to Annie. Meeting her sister could only have been the fate that led me to Annie. I had no other explanation for it. For the way I'd reacted to Abbie. I'd never felt such blinding instant attraction before. Not until I saw Annie.

Abbie was everything I always thought I wanted. She was dark, hot, intense, lived in the moment. She knew exactly what to say and do to make even me almost beg for more.

But Annie? She was more. She made me want more. And I didn't just mean round two. She made me want more than just a casual fling. She made me want to be worth it.

"Reed, dear. Are you listening?" I heard Mum say and I looked at her quickly.

"Sorry, what?"

She rolled her eyes ruefully, but didn't feel the need to remind me for the umpteenth time that I should have said 'pardon'. "I asked if you were listening, dear."

"Which I quite clearly wasn't. Sorry."

Her smile was both chastening and loving. She was a tall and handsome woman, with dark hair and green eyes like mine. When she didn't have visitors – family didn't count – she was comfortable in khaki trousers and sweaters, her hair either hanging around her shoulders in waves or, like it was now, up in a messy-on-purpose chignon. Her feet were bare, her face was free of makeup, and she was about as calm, collected and relaxed as I ever saw her.

"I wanted your opinion on the hors d'oeuvres," she told me and my mood soured somewhat.

Because, here we go. This was but a segue into what she really wanted to ask. "I'm sure you've got a much better idea than me," I replied.

"I was thinking we could talk about what the kids would like."

Ugh. Yes. My brother's kids. The product of his unhappy marriage. Not that his poor, patient and loving wife knew she had numerous, younger reasons to be unhappy in her marriage.

But food ideas for the adorable brats I could managed. "Mini pizzas. Party Pies. Puffy Dogs. They'll love it."

"Puffy...?"

"Dogs, yes."

The look on her face clearly suggested she had no idea what I was talking about. Which was ridiculous because Puffy Dogs were brilliant.

"Hot dog weenies in puff pastry," I explained, totally just wanting an excuse to say 'weenies'. I was twenty-three, not an adult.

"Oh." She nodded uncertainly, but made a note on her tablet. "Puff...pastry... Wonderful. Now, even Mitchell has a date this year–"

"So, isn't it about time I had one?" I finished for her, my eyebrow raising in displeasure.

Mum and I hated talking about my brothers unless it was absolutely necessary. The poor woman had four sons between twenty-three and thirty-five, and we were all rat bastards in our own way. I, at least, still tried showing Mum that I still loved her. Mitchell came close. But Nick and Damon were only interested in Daddy's money and what doors it could open for their career advancement. I was thankful for Daddy's money, but was perfectly happy with what I had in order to live the life I'd made for myself – namely wasting my days post-graduation until I decided what to do with my life.

"I know you hate this conversation, but I'm just interested to know what's going on in your life," Mum said, looking at me intently.

"My life is fine. No date, but fine."

"I just want you to be happy, Reed."

"I am happy!" Define happy.

"You know, a good woman–"