Chapter Nine: Reed

I just couldn't keep away. I hadn't set foot in a bookshop for...well, possibly ever, and now I was finding myself there every day. It was some overpowering autopilot that landed me in there looking for my Bella like a man stranded in the desert looking for water.

I'd even gone in the day before and been given the biggest shit-eating grin by Tabitha.

"Reed, a pleasant non-surprise," she'd said.

"How are you?"

"Alone, I'm afraid."

It took me a moment to realise what she meant. "Annie's not working today?"

"Annie's not working today," she clarified.

The look on her face told me she knew exactly why I was there, what I was thinking, and how I felt. And she thought it was the funniest thing she'd seen in a long time. The fact she didn't say anything directly meant I wasn't going to bring it up either.

"Well, it's hardly a wasted trip," I said, aiming for charming. It semi-worked.

Tabitha smirked ruefully. "Flattery will get you everywhere, darling."

Yeah, everywhere except the one place I wanted to be, apparently.

She continued, "Annie's in again tomorrow... If you wanted another book."

I nodded. "Right. Cool. Yeah. Because I buy books."

"So, I've heard. Can I offer you a helpful hint?" she asked.

"You can," I replied slowly, wondering what it was going to be.

"Buying them is one thing. Reading them is another." Here, she winked at me.

I couldn't help smiling. "And this is just a random helpful hint?"

"Of course." She waved her hand dismissively. "I'm not at all trying to play matchmaker by telling you what Annie appreciates in a..." She looked me over appraisingly, "man."

"Good to know," I laughed.

"But I am, naturally, not averse to playing the part should the need arise."

"Also good to know." I was about to leave again when I paused.

"Questions or comments?" Tabitha asked.

I opened my mouth and looked at her, wondering in the sense of my question before asking it. I asked it anyway. "What would you say my chances are?"

"That depends on your budget, young man. Ebooks are often cheaper than their print counter-parts." She delivered it deadpan. The only inkling of mischief was in her eyes.

I smirked. "With Annie."

"Oh!" she cried as though it was some great revelation, then she got serious on me. "You've got your work cut out for you." She looked like she was correcting herself. "For once. She's hesitant with you. It's weird. And amusing."

"But is that good or bad?"

Tabitha shrugged. "Time will tell. I want to say good, though."

I crooked my eyebrow at her. "So, I do have a chance?"

Tabitha's eyes drew together as she pinned me with a warning. "Annie isn't a conquest for the flighty, Reed."

I knew what she was saying. I looked at her just as seriously. "I know."

"Do you?"

I nodded. "Yes. It's different. She's different."

"That's what they all say." And she looked like a woman who knew.