prologue

- Summer 1989 -

- Summer 1989 -

For the first time in many years, Anastasia Lenore had found happiness in staring at a simple old tree, for hours on end. The summer had always been her favourite time of year, with family trips to the English coast line or making ice lollies in different flavours. Everything was perfect. Until Sam entered her mother's life and ruined everything. He had proposed to her mother, Daphne when she was just seven years old. It would've been fine, if the young man had shown any interest in his step - daughter's magical abilities. Cassidy was too young to understand the difference between her step - father and real father, who she never met. So, it hardly bothered the young girl. However, Anastasia often made it clear to Sam that he wasn't her actual father and often ran to her bedroom, when the two were left alone. Much to her mother's dismay.

"Darling, it's time to go", Daphne called out, from the patio steps. Anastasia knew that people thought she was the spitting image of her mother, but she wanted to believe that she had taken after her father in some way. Even if it was the colour of his eyes.

"Give me a second mum", Anastasia replied, before plucking off a branch with the most beautiful flower attached to it. She felt the warm summer heat hit her face, as she wandered out of the shade.

She strolled through the long grass and felt lucky that she hadn't been stung by a fluffy bumblebee. Her mother was holding a small piece of parchment in one hand and a glass of homemade lemonade in the other. Anastasia had received her Hogwarts acceptance letter two weeks ago and wasn't expecting another one so soon. Had the owl got lost on its journey? Dropping the small branch on the floor, Anastasia continued towards her mother.

"Where are we going exactly?", Anastasia asked, inclining her head in an angle where she could read the title of the letter. But, it was just a bunch of curved letters merged into one long sentence. No one would be able to read it.

"Why don't you take a look?", her mother suggested, as she handed her the piece of parchment.

The young girls face lit up as she began to taken in what was on the letter. She was thrilled to see that she could take Brambles the barn owl with her to Hogwarts. The owl had been a gift for her tenth birthday. It was also the day when she could hear Sam and Daphne arguing in their bedroom, about the prospect of owning an owl in a very muggle neighbourhood. Anastasia couldn't understand why muggles were opposed to the idea of magic. The only time things had gone horrifically wrong was in the First Wizarding War. Daphne had told her about all the close friends she had lost in the war. Her mother couldn't even tell her best friend Marlene McKinnon, that she was expecting another child that very year.

She knew that this would mean a trip to Diagon Alley but there was no issue in asking, "Mum does that mean we're going to Diagon Alley?"

"It sure does kiddo", Daphne was thrilled to see her daughter face fill with joy. It had been a very long time since she'd seen her daughter this happy. "Now why don't you wait by the street door, so I can give Sam some money to take Cassie out for lunch".