Chapter Thirty one

"I can't believe we never met." The apparition said.

I still couldn't decode what was happening and why I had followed this entity to the middle of nowhere.
I mean, I knew absolutely no one.

"So you are Tatia?" I mumbled, barely audible.

"Isn't it obvious?" She cracked.

It was but I still couldn't believe she was real–sort of. If this was actually Tatia and I went imagine this whole thing. It meant grandfather was right.

"So you've been the one haunting me?"

"About that, Malevolent spirits might trick you into doing them favors and being the new whisperer, You must be losing some sleep."

I didn't get why she was so amused. Not to sound like a bitch but, She was dead! How could that be amusing?

It would be a nice reunion if I knew her well but I didn't. So it was just awkward. It made me question why she drew me here.

"Is there any reason I'm here exactly?" I questioned, Biting my tongue mildly.

I must have sounded insensitive but what could I do?

"I came to warn you sister, You and Eric's time in the mortal veil is burning thin. You are not safe."

Eric? The mention of his name made me fume.

"If Eric dies, I doubt I'll care and you don't need to worry about my safety. I'm leaving Nodith as soon as my divorce is finalized."

"You won't. That's not the path written for you."

I snickered,

"Let me guess, You saw me die? Did you see why? You died sister. You know why You were with him. He ruined you... And I can not share that same fate."

I said this in tears. It sounded harsh and hateful. I'd always wished for a sister and what we would do if I had one. Long story short, I had one. I always had one. I never got to meet her alive and now that I can meet her, In saying trash about her.

"I didn't mean to sound..."

"I know," Tatia assured, flashing me a smile and trying to hold my hands.

Like the first time, It went right through me.

"...And I can tell you're afraid. You don't know what fate awaits you if you're with him but trust me, I saw you in my visions. You are safe here."

"How did you die?" I paused, took one look at her face and continued, "No one here has told me. I just wanted..."

"I don't remember." Tatia retorted, her shoulders shrugged down.

That was... unexpected. She didn't remember her death. Was that even possible?

"You don't remember your death?"

"I know it sounds stupid but my memories have been locked so I don't interfere with the present. I have flashes but it's just about the monster."

"The chimera!"

Eric was dead serious about protecting me from whatever monster that was. I wondered if it was responsible for Tatia's death.

"I wish I could tell you more. You don't how much it means to actually meet you in person."

"Same but..."

"There isn't much time left for me here Maisy but I want you to promise me one thing, You won't leave."

It was too late when my mouth got enough air to make words. Her already transparent body faded and just like that, She was gone.

This night as determined to leave me broken. I was sick of crying, Sick of watching what I never even had slipped past me. The hurt took over was more and my eyes stung as the tears rushed for their first taste of freedom. But I didn't. The tears didn't pour out like they wanted to. My throat suddenly went dry and an unusual chill coursed through my body.  This wasn't hurt. It was fear. I felt like I was being watched. It was a gut feeling I couldn't explain but trust me, I knew it. Someone's eyes were definitely on me.

In the tranquility of the bushes, There was trouble. I could feel it. I faced the vicinity I was sure my stalker was and boldly said,

"Who's there!"

There was no reply. This time I could make out my stalker's heavy breathing.

"Eric, Is that you?"

"I thought you hated him," Conrad said as he pushed his way away from the bush.

"What! Why are you here? Are you stalking me?"

"Relax. I was worried. It's not every day a Noble abandons the world for the secluded forest."

That meant he never saw Tatia.

"Well, I'm safe and clearly don't need your protection." I retorted, taking a domineering stance.

"Agreed." He smirked, giving me a meaningful stare so intense it made me wonder what message he was passing.

"Can I at least escort you back? This place is dangerous."

"I can handle danger."

I clearly could not so you can only imagine my face when an inhuman hand ten times the bulk of mine snapped his neck.

"God!!!"

Conrad collapsed to the ground, blood flooding out his nostrils and painting the earth red.

Was he dead? Would I be too?

My eyes trailed away from Conrad as slow as caution as I tried to get a view at the culprit. Legs of a horse, I would never escape it running. Face of a lion.

Nodith was totally the place for me.

***

Eric

She was close, I could tell. Conrad was here too. God knows I was going to kill that bastard. And Maisy... What was she thinking? Did she know how unsafe these places were?

I paused for a minute, taking the new metallic smell in. It smelt a lot like blood.

My blood ran cold and my lost strength returned.

They say to expect the unexpected but I wasn't ready to dash head-on in front of a chimera.

Maisy was frozen, unable to move or even breathe. She was scared to the bone.

The monster turned in my direction, baring out its yellow canines in aggression. It was probably reminded of our last duel. It totally ignored Maisy's presence and charged at me.

I took one look at Maisy then back at the beast. I couldn't fight it like this. At least not in this body. Although, I wasn't sure I was ready to risk it all.

Screw it!

There was no time to think of consequences. I discarded my shirt then my shorts while looking at Maisy.

She gave me this funny look. Like "We are about to be monster food and you're getting naked".

The chimera kept circling me, waiting for my attack. I shut my eyes briskly and channeled the beast.

When I opened my eyes, I heard Maisy gasp. I peeked at her.

Her eyes widened when I did. As my transformation continued, I watched her shrink backward.

She was afraid, afraid of me...

To be continued.