Chapter thirty nine

Eric
Conrad's death was a game-changer. There was no way I could tell.it to anyone until my coronation was over. It would ruin my already laid down plan which was pretty smooth. Plus, preparation was already made. It would be disappointing to dash the people's hope. I had seen them flock in and out the castle today, Their face clearly filled with adoration. I couldn't bear to dash those hopes but something else bothered me. Maisy mentioned Valentine being a clue and I had tried to ignore it before but I just couldn't now. The only answer that rung repeatedly to my eardrums was Anthony and when I pondered a bit about it, a part of me believed I wasn't far from the truth. Conrad had a secret affair with Emilia and there was surely something I was missing but I had a theory that the ghost asking for vengeance against Anthony was Valentine.

"Your Majesty, " A maid whispered interrupting my thoughts.

I faced her and noticed she was holding the holy regalia. A purple robe that had become a tradition for royals to wear while being inaugurated to office. I instructed her to hand it over just before Anthony took the robe off her hands.

"Excuse us." He ordered.

Now wasn't the smartest time to ask him but I needed to get it off my chest but still, How does one accuse his own brother of murder? The maid nodded and exited the room leaving us both to converse.

"Dad would have been so proud," Anthony noted, equipping me in the robe.

"Yes, I'm sure he would."

He looked so happy as I felt like a terrible human knowing I would ruin today for him. Not use on how to start our conversation, I jumped straight to the point.

"Anthony, Do you ever miss Valentine?"

"Why would you ask that?" He questioned, looking at me directly in the eye.

This was the time. Holding back would be wrong. I had to tell him everything that ran through my mind at the moment and if he hated me for it then so be it.

"I just thought you should know that Valentine wanted you dead..."

Anthony backed away, "You...mean she hasn't ascended?"

The look he had on his face. Was that guilt? Was I right to doubt Anthony's brightness? No! I had to be wrong.

I turned to face him and asked, "What bothers me is why would Valentine want you dead?"

"I don't know." He stammered, How do you know this?"

"Maisy saw her. Also, Conrad is dead."

"What? Why are you telling me this? Eric, what's going on?"

He was tensed and could barely stay focused. Almost as if he wanted to forget something or maybe he was hiding something. This gave me the strength to continue.

"Before Conrad left this plane. He mentioned Valentine. Do you know why?"

Anthony turned blue. He was confused as to why I would ask him any of this but my brother was no fool. He didn't take him long to put the pieces together.

"You think I'm somehow involved in this."

"Anthony, I just want to be sure."

"You didn't trust me. I'm your blood! You should know me more than I know myself."

"Anthony, I'm sorry but I just wanted to be sure-"

Anthony raised his hand to silence me,
"Be sure of one thing Eric, I'm disappointed in you."

He barged out and I could bet I had strained our relationship.

***
Lucy

Perfect. I checked out my appearance in the antique mirror. All I've craved for since this dream popped into my head.
I admired the strapless, cream dress of semi-embroidered fabric accentuated my thin waist and flared out a bit. I had to admit, Madame Rosette really outdid herself. I hoped Maisy saw this before she drowned herself or something. Dad had to see this.