The Paths of Polarity

M. L. Arch

        The power of choice is not an affliction, but a privilege. An opportunity to see potential from all aspects. Simply choosing between ink or lead can tell not only of one's past, but the probability of their future as well.

        The trail of the lead is light, a thin transparency minutely engraved into the canvas that is easily removable. Every inch susceptible to change. Mistakes are welcome, but they are welcome because of how little effort it requires to revise and fixate the intended path; then to further continue searching for a better outcome. The lead leaves behind a messy clutter of mistakes only to rely on its closest partner to clean up what it has left behind. Without the lead's eraser, the trail of the lead would be far different, perhaps in a positive manner. But the two are inseparable; substantially contrasting one another, yet their properties complement each other by support. Their values stray from what is ideal within their specific society, and their primary focus will always be attempting to reach the greener grass. The lead praises the power of choice and carries on through its path knowing the tangibility of its resource is easily attainable.

        The ink is distinct; it is not afraid to knife its edges into the canvas and bleed through, making its mark into its environment. The inks trail shows no sign of regret. It learns from its mistakes and grows from them, leading to a smoother and more definitive path. It is independent, and does not rely on anything else for support, or sympathy. Its permanency portrays its values along with its loyalty. The ink appreciates the power of choice but does not take it for granted. It is at peace with its trail and is not frightened by the continuation down its path knowing that the cancellation of its mistakes is not an option.

        The paths of the ink and lead are polar opposites, but both offer a certain extent of success in different ways through consideration and insightful experience.