Back to Beginnings

I'm no longer who I am before. I'm not special. I never was. people only laugh at me. I've been an actor after the incident. After I became famous for coming back alive.

What they don't know is that I'm actually a coward. I pretended I was an explorer on screen, happily smiling and laughing, but people don't take me seriously. They make fun of my clothes, my hair, my voice and my skin.

I'm merely just a joke to them. What they don't know is that I'm broken inside. I'm no longer her. No longer Dora. I'm going to change. Create a whole different person and leave her, my past, behind.

I pulled on a crop top, loosely braided my hair to look different, and stepped outside.

"Papa, I called out", he was at the kitchen stirring something.
Eggs I assumed as the kitchen smelled like fresh eggs and pie.
"Morning dora"

I cringed at that name."morning papa", I smiled either way.

My papa looked really weird at me, and so did mama. They looked a bit too cheerful. It was as if it was one of our birthday, but it was not. It couldn't be.

"So", I began. "What's up today?".

Mama looked at papa and began.
" We are going on a special trip, honey."

" Its good that you woke up early today", papa said slowly taking my hand.

"We are going out!". I exclaimed. "No we can't!"

"Why not?". My mom asked worried.

" because I...", I stammered.

"It's ok, honey we'll go camping today". He said." It'll be fun".

Lost for words I went up and began to pack my bag. Not my purple one if you are wondering. I lost it with my map. I think.

My bag was brown. Maybe green. Not that it matters. I Checked my bangs once more before heading out.

"Mama!", I called out. "I'm ready".

"In the van!". She said.

I went out to find another crowd waiting outside, along with a few journalist.

"Dora! Dora! Over here, a few questions", I heard them all shouting at once.

"Are you going on a vacation?". One of them asked.
"Yes and no"

" for how long?"

"Uh...", I found it hard to answer that question. I don't even know where we were going.

I faked a smile and looked at the camera. "I'm going on a splendid camping trip, with my family"
I pointed at the loaded van, "It's been soooo long since we were together, we are all set, so, bye everyone."

"Explore the world!", I said as waved the crowd away.

Everyone left except, Tanya and Heida. They stood there, hands crossed glaring at me.

" what do you want?", I said.

Tanya laughed, chuckling like an idiot, he fingers curling her blonde hair. "What do you want?", she mimicked me and Heida almost doubled back laughing.

I rolled my eyes and got into my van. " Don't let them get to you, honey", mama said.

As we drove along, I heard Tanya say, "she can't even go on a vacay, without the entire town following her"

"Slut-O-Dora", Heida replied. I felt really bad, but I tried to ignore it. My papa kept giving me concerned glances every now and again.

Three hours of driving and we are still lost. Why were we lost, you may ask. I don't know. The last thing I know is that papa took a shortcut, and now we are stuck under a tree with a flat tire.

" Papa", I moaned again. " I'm hungry and a mosqitoe just bit my leg"

"Look sweety, stop being such a child", she said patting my back. " Papa is trying to find our way back"

"Your grandmother isn't picking up her phone", papa said coming back with her phone in his hands.

"she's probably napping ", I thought.

That's when I saw that rock on the ground. It had a strange marking on it. Weird. It wasn't a number or a letter, but somehow it was all familiar to me. Like that mark belonged to me.

I slowly, traced my fingers over the marking. "Papa, Mama", I whispered.

They looked back at me. "What's wrong, sweety?", my mama asked.

"I think I know this place", I replied.

Already the memories were flooding back to me. A face. A smell and the sound of a monkey howling.

That's when everything clicked back to me. "This is where I was held", I said as my parents eyes widened in horror.

Guys, please give me constructive crtitism. I want to get better. Have a nice day :)