3. Acceptance

I wake up in the morning when my alarm goes off. I don't want to move, at all. Last night was enough to tire out a horse, not to mention the weird dream I had....

** I had fallen asleep almost immediately after I'd laid down because I was so tired, but mostly because i didn't need, or want, to hear what could possibly be going down in my mommy's room that night. I'm usually a heavy sleeper, but the voice I heard woke me up faster than I knew possible.

"Don't you think you going a little too far with this? I asked that it be done correctly, not how YOU want it", this voice sounded angry, but I woke up too late to know what had started the conversation. This is the voice that woke me, being that it sounded just like my daddy, but it couldn't be... he was gone.

"Yea, well, I have to do what I gotta do. She still loves you. The only reason she even let me get this close is because I'm both yours and her friend." That was James's voice, why is he letting another man in the house?

"I understand that, but this is your final warning, back off a lil bit mane, we can't do what needs to be done, if I can't trust you. We can't afford for you to fall in love... again," says the familiar voice, sounding livid, but in a controlled manner, I swear I'm going crazy because this voice sounds so much like my daddy. Wait! Hold on, did I just hear what i think I just heard? So this is a sham? is he really playing my mommy like that? I get up out of bed quickly and reach for my door knob, and just as I do, the floor creaks. It gets extremely quiet on the other side of the door, it sounded like they were in the dining area talking, which means the front door is extremely close. If I open my door quick enough maybe i can get a glimpse before they reach the front door. I jerk my door open, only to find James standing there alone, putting his phone in his pocket, as if he'd just finished a conversation.

"Did I wake you? I'm so sorry, I moved away from your mom's door so I wouldn't wake her, and I end up waking you instead. My apologies," he's says this with a small smile.

"But- I just- I thought-.... I heard someone else out here with you, for sure" I say, agitated that he's really going to sit here like I'm stupid, and lie to me.

"No ma'am. I was just on a phone call for work, had to help a partner out with something, nothing too serious, just a new guy on the job..." he trailed off as he watched me begin to search the surrounding area. I stop abruptly as I feel a firm hand on my shoulder. "You, sure everything is, ok? You having trouble sleeping. Should I wake your mother?" he asks, feigning the look of concern, slowly turning me back towards my bedroom.

"No, I'm fine, maybe I'm just too tired," I say looking back and forth between his eyes and his hand on my shoulder. He drops his hand and watches me go back into my room. I stop at the door, and listen to his retreat back to my mom's bedroom. I lay down in my bed covering up in the room that feels so cold, too cold. His touch, his hand on my shoulder, it wasn't friendly at all. Neither were his eyes. What is he hiding? Was he really just on the phone, or was someone in our house? Maybe my mom is right. My father's separation from us is taking a greater toll on me than I thought. I'm seriously trippin.

"TAY!!! Wake up!!! NOW!!!" Dang, I guess I zoned out. She just scared the heck out of me. It is entirely too early for that yelling. My momma trippin! I pull my comforter over my head and roll onto my belly.

"I know you heard me and I won't say it again," she opens my door and it gets quiet. I pretend to still be asleep, hoping that she will walk away, and leave me be. "You know I didn't forget about what you did last night. With your slick mouth behind," she shakes her head with a slight smirk as she walks over to my bed. She slaps my butt hard with her open palm, making me jump out of my pretend slumber.