Chapter 4 ll "You-! You are too good for this world! It's making me angry."

It was one of those rare days where Zoey was not buried in her work and Chris was too lazy to even laze around at home. 

Neither of them really knew how did they end up there, but here they are, at the kids' corner in their nearby library. 

It was a cute place - the corner was warm and cozy, with little red mushroom houses as sitting areas for the children to read their books. There were even flower and leaf-shaped cushions strewn around the ground for the kids to cuddle with. Since it was a weekend, there were quite a number of kids there running around and quietly reading their books. 

Chris pulled Zoey closer by the waist and leaned towards her ear. "They are so tiny." He whispered conspiratorially. 

"Right? I want to squeeze them." 

"Oh. I was going to say I want to push them over but yeah, that too."

"I will push you." 

"Push me into your arms, please." 

"I will push you into a pot of boiling water." Zoey slapped Chris at the back of his neck and poked his waist, before strutting off towards the kids. Chris scampered to follow after her, not before cursing under his breath for dating a violent woman, which said violent woman unfortunately overheard, leading to another round of mild beating for Chris. 

Crouching down to find a book from the shelves, the couple caught the attention of the kids, who looked on at them curiously.

"You are actually a frequent volunteer here?" 

"Why? Were you doubting me when I said that kids love me? I am super charismatic, okay? Kids would jump on me all the time just for my dashing good looks and killer personality." 

"Are you sure the target audience you are talking about is kids? Sounds like you were just creating your Tinder profile." 

"Zoey Summers, I will prove you so wrong. Watch me." 

"How does this thing actually work? So I just grab a book, herd the kids like they are a bunch of sheep and start reading to them?" 

"Pretty much. The librarian here knows me well enough to know that I do that all the time with the kids and that I'm not some pedophilic predator." 

"Why have I never seen you here then?" 

To Zoey's surprise, Chris' ears suddenly turned a light shade of red and his eyes started darting everywhere to avoid Zoey's fixed stare on him. What?

"What are you not telling me, Chris Martinez?" 

Zoey thought she was going to go feral when Chris began to rub his neck bashfully like a shy schoolboy. He looked almost as cute as the kids around them. Zoey felt like she was going to melt into the ground. 

Chris giggled - he fucking giggled, "I thought it was kind of embarrassing to let anyone know that I'm volunteering at the kids' corner of a library... and I thought that this was just something that I would do quietly by myself, instead of telling others to about it. It's not like I need other people's recognition that I'm volunteering. That just feels wrong." 

If Zoey thought that she was going to melt just now, she was truly devastated now. How was this man even real? Yet, at the same time, should she really be so surprised? This was Chris, her kind and gentle and soft boyfriend who would totally climb a tree trying to save a cat only to fall and break his back unheroically. 

"Do you have any idea how fucking cute you actually are, Chris? Do you? Do you! Because if you don't, I'm getting angry." 

A look of alarm flashed across Chris' face. He scampered to reach over to Zoey, almost falling backwards onto his butt in his hurry.