Verse 1

On top of the world

                                        On top of it all

                                        Trying to feel invincible

The earbuds blasted music into your ears, even though the words seemed rather monotonous after listening to the same song at least a hundred times in a row.

Nothing had changed. Nothing at all.

Nothing had changed about school, your family, or your imaginary friends.

Nothing had changed about the new dress your mom had bought you during her tour in France, which lay lifelessly on the white chair, despite its scarlet ruffles.

And certainly nothing had changed about the fact that in one month, you would die from a newly discovered disease.

The surrounding hospital room reeked of disinfectants and rubbing alchohol. Syringes lay scattered next to the garbage can. Your smartphone lay on the bed next to you, sinking into the memory foam mattress. You let out a deep sigh as you slowly and painfully shuffled over to the other side of the bed, your earbud cord pulling back. You checked the monitor. It read a random sequence of numbers, which changed every couple of seconds. Hmph, you thought, well, serves me right for not wanting to become a doctor. You tried to smile at your own attempt of cheering yourself up, with no avail. 

Choking a little, you mouthed the lyrics that were about to come up before drifting back into sleep.

                                        Dying on top of the world.