K: Payday

Alexander Hill

It was payday. To everyone else, this was the best day of the week, but for me, it was the most difficult. I rolled out of bed, ready to get it over with.

The best part of my day was the fact that I was going to visit my mother. It was the only part I was looking forward to.

I got ready and checked to make sure I had enough time. My shift at the gym started at eight so I had to get my errands done on time before my endless day began.

I hurried down to my landlords' office, taking the stairs in the interest of time. I knocked hesitantly, but waited for his response.

"Come in" He yawned. He was seated at his desk, a pile of papers in his hand.

"Here" I handed the envelope to him nervously. I was late on rent this month again, and it still wasn't enough.

"I hope it's all here" he squinted, grabbing the brown envelope from my fingers.

"It's not" I admitted. "I need some more time, Carl" I pleaded.

"I already gave you extended time for last month, but you're still coming up short" He shook his head. "I'm sorry Alex, but I need the balance by the end of the week." He cut off.

"Please..." I begged weakly. He stopped me with a wave of his hand.

"This is a business and no matter how much I like you, I need this money to run it. End of the week, I'm sorry" He sighed.

"Me too." I mumbled as I exited his office. I shook my head at my misfortune. This day was already sour and it just began. If I couldn't pay the rest of the rent by the end of the week, I was out on the streets. I held on to hope that maybe my tips this week will balance me off. It was the perks of having a bartender job, among two others.

I pulled out the remaining balance of my pay from my pocket, making sure I took the bare minimum for food and transportation.

I headed straight to the home my mother was at, more than happy to see the only woman I had time for in my life. I quickly parked, heading to her room.

I knocked quickly on the door, before opening it. She was a sleep, tubes and monitor cords clinging to her body. I entered quietly, closing the door behind me.

"You're early" she crooked, a weak smile on her lips.

"Yeah, I couldn't wait to see you" I kissed her forehead as I took the seat beside her.

"I'm worried that you don't have many friends" she joked as she struggled to sit up.

"No, lie down" I refused "I'm not staying long" I muttered.

"Finally found a girl friend?" she questioned. I rolled my eyes and rubbed my forehead. "Your dick isn't getting younger" she lectured nonchalantly.

"Mom..." I whined in embarrassment at the mention of my lower parts. I could never get use to it, no matter how much she said it.

"It's the true." She snarled. "I need grandchildren before my time is over"

"You're not going anywhere" I promised, my anxiety setting in.

"Alexander" She shook her head. I stood up before she could speak anymore, not wanting to hear what she would say next.

"I gotta go to work" I sighed as I kissed her forehead again.

"How is it? I really don't understand why you need two jobs." She worried. Actually, it's three now, I wanted to add, but I held off. "Thank goodness I'm covered by insurance, I wouldn't want to see what would happen then" she laughed.