Chapter 3

March 17,

The next day I wake up to the sound of knocking on my door.

"Aubrie, it's 11:00. You have to get up." Grace says from the closed door.

"No! Go away! Its Sunday," I yell as I bury my face in a pillow.

"Aubrie, come on. Please. Mom will be home in an hour." she says. This makes me groan.

"Fine! I'm up!" I yell as I throw the blankets off my body.

I sigh and walk toward the bathroom to start the shower. When I'm done, I step out and pat myself dry, then walk toward my closet and get ready for the day. I slip on a pair of white socks and then tie my damp hair into a quick ponytail and then go find Grace's room. I let myself in and go straight to lay down on her bed, "I'm up. Now what?" I ask her, and she laughs.

"I don't know. Do something. Go talk to that cute boy next door," She says as I groan.

"Graceee!" I groan again.

She laughs and then walks out of the room and goes downstairs, so I get up and go back to my room. I make my bed, grab my phone and walk downstairs to see mom is walking in the door. She is still in her scrubs and has grocery bags lining her arms. She stumbles into the kitchen and drops them on the ground.

"Thanks for the help," She says sarcastically with an irritated look on her face. I go and sit at the island as she goes to the fridge and pulls out a bottle of water. "Wheres your sister?" She asks as she sips on the water.

"Upstairs," I say as I play with the ends of my hair.

"Well can you go get her?" She asks with a dumbfounded look on her face.

"GRACE!" I shout.

She sighs loudly, and she looks at me in the eye, "Really?"

I shrug my shoulders, "Sorry,"

Grace comes down the stairs and sits next to me, "Yeah?"

"Our new neighbors are coming over for dinner tonight. And I want you girls to be nice." She says sternly, "I'm talking to you, Aubrie," she adds on.

"Our neighbors?" Grace asks, "Our neighbor, the cutie?"

I shake my head and push her playfully as I get up, not wanting to answer any questions that mom has to ask about "cutie." I walk toward the living room, and flip threw the channels until I stop on Spongebob. Yeah, I know, cheesy but whatever. After a while, Grace comes in and sits next to me, and we watch Spongebob like we did when we were little.~After about an hour, the doorbell rings, and I hear mom yell "Coming" and then deeper voices. "Oh, where are my manners, come in." I hear mom's "company voice" turn on, which means tonight will be nothing but fun.

"Aubrie, Grace! Come out and meet our new neighbors!" she shouts for us. I sigh and get up. I flip the TV off and follow Grace out toward mom's voice into the family room.

"Oh, there they are!" she says as she waves us over. We walk over to her, and she stands up. "These are my daughters, Grace, and Aubrie." She says, and then the oldest of the men stands up and holds his hand out toward Grace.

"Hello Grace," he says and grabs her hand. "Aubrie," he says as he moves to me with a warm smile. "My name is Calvin, and this is my wife, Natalie, and my boys, Kai and Graham," He says as he points to the boys on the couch in front of me.

Graham smiles this goofy, playful grin and waves at me like a little kid, "Hi Aubrie!"I shake my head in embarrassment and hold back a smile.

Our parents look at each other confused, "You two know each other?" His mom asks.

I immediately say no, but it is matched by him saying yes. "Yeah, she ran into me when I was running yesterday," He says and then smiles at me again.

I shake my head, and it goes awkwardly quiet for what seems the forever until mom clears her throat and says that dinner should be done soon and then grabs my arm and drags me to the kitchen. She has me move all the food from the kitchen to the dining room, and when we're done, she calls everyone in. Everybody begins filing into the room, and I take a seat, Grace sits on my left side while Graham slides into the chair on my right. I look over at him for a moment, and my dull grey eyes meet his bright blue ones. I look away and start putting food on my plate. Mom makes conversation with everyone, especially Natalie, and Graham talks to me throughout the dinner. He says that he didn't mean to embarrass me that much but that it was still funny and that I better get used to it if I'm going to be around him. I roll my eyes and can't help but just like him. Cute or not, he is just a likable person.

*********************

(Pictured above = Katniss' outfit)

I kinda want to start adding a question at the end of every chapter to get you guys involved and maybe have you guys help add little details to future chapters. Let me know what you guys think 🧡