Chapter 6 •Hanging On to a Branch•

I slipped on a red sweater, some blue jeans, and a black hijab. After putting on some moisturizer, mascara, and lip balm, I walked down the stairs to get some breakfast. Iffat was already in the kitchen, with his head in the fridge, browsing for something to eat. 

I sat down on the bench in front of the island counter and poured myself some orange juice that was already there. 

After deciding what he was going to have for breakfast, Iffat closed the fridge and turned around. Not expecting me to be sitting there, he jumped up in shock and dropped the box of pre-made pancake mix to the floor. "Shit," He muttered. 

"Never gets old," I shook my head and laughed at him and his ability to always get scared so easily. 

"You're lucky I didn't spill the batter everywhere," He said as he picked up the box off the floor. "Why are you up anyway? I thought you weren't going to school." Yesterday, I had taken a 3-hour nap after Iffat had dropped me off at home. After waking up, I had talked to him about how embarrassed I had been when Jean threw the soda over my head and I had declared that I was not going to go back to school. He had told my parents what had happened and they were completely ok with me skipping school the next day. 

After taking the last sip of my juice, I replied, "When I woke up to pray Fajr, I realized it was kind of stupid not going back to school. It would only make that girl feel as if she had some control over me." I did not want to make her think that at all. In fact, I wanted to show her how unaffected I was by her actions (even if I had to fake it).

Iffat nodded and said, "Ok, I'll drop you off. But, if she ever does anything to you ever again, please let me know and I'll give her a piece of my mind. I don't care if she's a girl." 

"Uhuh, alright. But we both know you wouldn't dare to hit a girl." I looked at him, amused.

"I'll still make sure to put her in her place, don't doubt me. Now, do you want any pancakes?"

"Yes, two with chocolate chips. Make sure to evenly spread out the chocolate chips and drizzle some syrup on it after. Not too much syrup, but not too little either," I told him, jokingly, as if I was placing an order. 

"Will that be all?" I nodded my head. "Ok, that will be $10.99."

"No sibling discount?" I asked, playing along. 

"No, in fact, I should be charging you more for being my sister. It's a pain."

I gasped, pretending to be hurt by his comment.

Before I could respond, my mom walked into the kitchen, followed by Laila and Hawa. "Why are you awake, Amarah?" She asked me. I told her what I told Iffat and she gave me a hug and told me to call if anything happens. 

"Salam, Amarah," Laila said, giggling. "Did I say it right?" She looked at Hawa, who nodded and gave her a high five. 

"Walaikum Assalam, Laila," I replied, impressed that she was learning new things, and enjoying it as well. 

"Alright, kids, hurry up and eat your breakfast. We have to leave soon," my mom told them as she set a bowl of cereal in front of each of them on the counter, then proceeded to make some food for herself. 

Let's hope today is better than yesterday. Insha'Allah.

•~°~•

"Ok, guys, we are going to be starting our project today based on the sketches I had you all finish. You're going to get with a partner and will find a way to combine your sketches into one art piece. The rough sketch for that will be due on tomorrow at the end of class, so make sure you have it done by then. And let me know who you partner up with, so I can write it down!" Everyone immediately got up and started pairing up with their friends.