Chapter Three

**✿❀ Chapter Three ❀✿**

"Mmmmm," she tried to utter below the tape stuck over her mouth.

Marcia Lovelace had never expected her life to come to this. Sat on a wooden seat, locked up in a smelly, old barn.

Her life had always been normal and undramatic. Like most, she went to school, college, university. Then she became a paramedic and that was it.

That was her story.

Her eyes fixated on the other woman's. The blonde was trembling with fright despite doing her best to attempt to compose herself.

"Marcia?" the stranger said, causing her to squint with confusion.

She watched as Freya walked over and took the tape from her mouth. She was impressed by how the woman did it softly for something that was never not going to be painful.

"You know my name?" asked Marcia. Her eyes wandered down Freya's suit. "Are you a detective?"

Freya replied, "Yes, I know your name, but not exactly," whilst fighting with the rope that had clasped the blonder woman's hands together. 'My name's Freya though. Hi." Awkward, as always.

"He didn't lock me in, so I know he'll be back. We're going to have to hurry," Marcia spoke in a panic. The adrenaline of finally escaping was flowing freely through her veins. That didn't stop her intense fear though.

"Who's 'he'?"

"I'll tell you later." Marcia sighed and followed Freya out of the barn door. "Let's just get out of here first."

The blonde gripped hold of Freya's hand as they walked out to the barn. She hadn't had a proper meal in two weeks so her strength wasn't quite there. Still, Marcia was one of those people who kept going even when she felt rough. As a paramedic, she had to be. Peoples lives were in her hands on a daily basis.

As the two stepped quickly from the barn, hand in hand, it became obvious that they weren't alone. The sound of somebody squelching in the muddy grass turned into feet running across the footpath.

Marcia cried, "I can't run fast enough."

Freya's eyes flashed around, halting on a large rock. "Weapons," she breathed out to herself. This is what people did in films, right? The younger woman picked the rock up and hurried to catch up with Marcia.

The duo ran as quickly as possible in the direction of her car but the footsteps behind them were speeding up. They were close, maybe only a metre or two away now.

Marcia's run faltered and that was when she felt an arm slide around her chest and pull her backwards.

Freya dropped her rock in horror and spun around on her feet to see a manly figure stood there. He was a little overweight with a ginger beard to match his small amount of ginger hair. His clothes were muddy, he certainly wasn't dressed to impress. Marcia's best friend, Carmen, had always said that men who wore shorts in the Winter couldn't be trusted. The blonde could believe that now.

"You're both coming back with me," the man announced in his gruff voice.

Freya replied without thinking, "We're definitely not." Then she walked forwards and threw her foot at him, forcing her heel to pierce as far into the skin of his leg as her strength could manage.

Marcia felt her body drop to the floor as the man nursed his pain. She crawled over to the rock and threw it up in the direction of his stomach without much accuracy.

Just milliseconds after it had hit him, she watched with dazed eyes as Freya pushed the man away forcefully with her elbow. Marcia hoped it would give them time to run, but it looked like they were going to get even more time than necessary.