Chapter One

**✿❀ Chapter One ❀✿**

Freya Albright smashed her shoulder into the door of the police station and pushed herself through with a lack of ease. She simultaneously tried to stop her bag from slipping off of her shoulder whilst looking at the time on her watch.

"Hey, I'm a minute early," she called out to nobody in particular. "That must be a record." Usually Freya would stumble her way to the office late with a hot cup of takeaway coffee in her hand and slightly creased clothes. Coffee had been her go-to since taking the job just two months ago. These early 6am starts were too tiring for the Australian to take on without a good amount of caffeine in her system. Not to mention, she was still getting used to her new surroundings. And the great, British, winter weather. Why was it so cold here? It had been bad enough in Melbourne but here it was almost unbearable.

Freya greeted her colleagues as she walked through the office to reach her desk, knocking into multiple tables and desks before she got there. That was the thing about Freya, she was clumsy. Her movements didn't seem to have any coordination whatsoever and her large amounts of energy moved her around faster than she could physically cope with. Especially in heels. Oh how she hated heels, but apparently her footwear had to be smart and flat shoes just looked ridiculous with her suits.

Eventually, she settled on her chair and swung it from side to side like a child whilst logging into her computer. She'd got really lucky with this job. Not only had they not told her off too harshly for the days she'd turned up late, but she hadn't expected to find a job like this in such a small town.

She worked as a Digital Detective. It was a modern job, something that had only become a prominent career choice in the recent years. Whilst your average detective spent time being field based, she just sat in the office and scanned the internet for clues. Every day was different but Freya's favourite days had always been those ones where she got to stand up in court and give the evidence she'd found. It always made her feel important.

Now she was in Wales, she preferred the quieter days in the office where she got to bug her colleagues all day long with her constant chatter. They were friendlier than her colleagues had been at the station back in Melbourne.

The day seemed to drag. Monday's were always the longest, especially after lunch. Finally it sounded like something interesting was going on and Freya's ruffled, brown(ish) hair swung over her shoulders to listen in on the drama between two of her colleagues.

"Carmen Hollingsworth is outside and I can't get her to leave."

"Make her. I've got no time for her today."

"She still thinks her friend's in danger."

"We know she is! But we lack the staff and resources. We're doing our best, but a murder investigation and a missing person? We've never had to do this before."

"She said it's been almost two weeks now."

"Just...tell her we'll continue to look into it."

"We won't though, will we? We can't."

"Just try and keep her happy. We'll bring officers in from Cardiff if we must."

"I'll see what I can do."

"Thank you."

The second man sighed and returned to his desk that sat opposite Freya's in the small police office. He was a detective; the only one of his type in this office. Cardiff was about a forty minute drive away and Freya's favourite place to go shopping. If she hadn't been looking for a quieter place to move to, Cardiff would have suited her down to the ground. Even two months in, she was craving the socialisation she got from living in a city. It was far quieter here and sometimes it felt like her voice was too loud for people.