Following

Hey, why was the marquis's household punishment so harsh? Normally, wouldn't it only be a one-rod thick rattan? That rotten fellow, the household punishment was actually five-rods thick rattan! If she had known this early, she would have tried struggling more!

Even though she felt endlessly remorseful about her early choice, Ji Man felt worse when she saw Muxu's pitifully crying on the side. She could only pretend to be utterly fearless as she comforted her, "Muxu, don't cry. It won't hurt that much. I'll be fine after resting for a few days."

Muxu shook her head. Tears were still streaming down from her face. Her forehead was red from kowtowing ealier.

Ji Man couldn't bear to see her like this. She had never been good at comforting people, so she simply closed her eyes.

Ning Yuxuan, Wen Wan, and Mu Shuiqing had also come out. The two people in the front had complicated expressions while the third person came out to watch the excitement. Moreover, she seemed to be rejoicing in Nie Sangyu's misfortune.

Marquis Moyu's household punishment was ten strikes of the rattan. Ji Man felt that it shouldn't be that difficult to endure.

But, she hadn't expected that the servant dealing out the punishment would hate her that much. When the servant fiercely struck down, her kneeling position wasn't stable and she fell forward. Her back felt numb for a moment before it was replaced by overwhelming pain.

As a modern day person, Ji Man had never suffered such a punishment. The tears that Ji Man hadn't wanted to shed came out. She clenched her jaw and went back to the kneeling position again. She took the rest of the beating.

Ning Yuxuan looked at her with cool eyes of a bystander. He saw her clenching her fists and even saw the cold sweat from her forehead fell down, but she still clenched her jaw and didn't let out any sound. In the past, she would have never accepted this punishment.

By the seventh strike, Ji Man's head wasn't as clear anymore. She unconsciously opened her eyes and glanced at Marquis Moyu.

That man looked at her without any emotion as he stood next to his new wife.

At the very least, Nie Sangyu had been with him for six years. For him to be this heartless towards her, he truly didn't have the slightest feeling towards her.

Ji Man heard a voice in her head say with a heart-wrenching cry, "I hate him."

"En. I hate him too." Ji Man quietly replied. "I'll help you get your revenge."

Ning Yuxuan watched Ji Man until she finished receiving her punishment. He didn't say anything and only waved his hand to indicate for the servants to bring her back. Her eyes had become cold. They no longer looked at him with their previous warmth.

Muxu had cried so much that her voice had become hoarse. She rushed to Ji Man's side, but she couldn't do anything to help. She could only continue to cry.

"It's okay. Older sister Jiang and little radish had suffered much more than me." Ji Man opened her eyes and smiled at Muxu. "Sacrifices always have to be made for the revolution."

(T/N: Older sister Jiang and little radish are characters in a novel called, Red Crag. The novel is partially based on historical people from the Chinese Revolutionary War like Jiang Zhuyun. Little radish was a child that was brought to prison when he was one year old with his mom and he died eight years later.)

Muxu didn't understand her words and the sound of her crying got worse.

When they returned to the confinement courtyard, Wen Wan sent people over with medicine. Muxu carefully undressed Ji Man and applied the medicine. Ji Man was in so much pain that her face was deathly pale. Her back was very swollen.