Chapter 29

Dylan literally had to push me in to the car door and shut it close. I slowly scrambled to the other side of the seat and wrapped my arms around my tired legs. I heard quiet mumbling from outside before Dylan came in and scooted close to me. The car shot forward and I surged back in my seat with immense force. We seemed to be moving fast with ease and there wasn’t that much trouble on the road. I had expected us to have been pulled over with how fast we were driving.

“You okay Chelsea?” Dylan asked softly as she stared at me with worry. I stared back into her brown eyes. She had removed her mask and she looked pretty as usual. How can she be so pretty but yet so…

“I'm fine.” I replied before my thoughts could escalate any further.

“You’re going somewhere for now…”

“What was going- what was that?” I finally breathed out, quite frustrated as the scene of a woman’s life taken before me kept playing in my head. “I can’t… I don’t understand why you killed her-”

“Its gang shit Chelse…” Dylan tried to soothe but fuck if it didn’t make me feel even the slightest bit better, “We only do it because we have to.”

I snorted but didn’t reply, looking out the windows but I could only see my reflection. Either the tint was too strong or my eyes were playing tricks on me. I also hadn’t realized there was a divider blocking my view up front as well.

“Security purposes.” Dylan clarified sitting back and taking off her bullet proof jacket to reveal her tight black see-through crop top, “The guards don’t trust you.” She said mockingly but I ignored it and leaned my head against the window.

Thirty minutes later, the car came to a stop but we weren’t let out for another five minutes because according to Dylan, they were ‘screening the premises’. Unfortunately, again I wasn’t trusted so I had to be blind folded but refused to go anywhere without Dylan.

I was guided out the car and into the chilly air by one of the guards and Dylan. We stood for a while, probably waiting for an elevator until we entered one and headed up. It was still cold here but when the elevator came to a stop and the guard had to type in a code, the doors opened and I was welcomed to a nicely heated room.

“The penthouse has been checked ma’am and you are to leave to go back at the station according to Mr. Reed.” The guard said as he took of my blindfold and pocketed the cloth.

“But I just came from there!” Dylan groaned.

“Mr. Reed’s orders are always followed through Ms. Meyer.” The burly guard finalized as the elevator doors were closed shut.

We were currently standing on a raised platform in front of the elevator doors that led directly into the beautiful space. Wooden steps led down to an open area between the kitchen and living room. The whole apartment was accented with hints of red but mostly white. It was kept spotless and professional looking.  

“Chelsea I'm sure you have a million questions but I’ll let Mason do all the talking.”

“And when is that?” I snipped as she walked down the steps of the platform and into the open planned kitchen.

“He’ll be here in about… two hours,” She muffled as she picked up a beer from the packed fridge. “Want one?” she smiled and I shook my head as I also walked down the platform to the kitchen. I stood against the counter top as she sat on one of the bar stools and observed me. Looking around the house I couldn’t help but wonder how Mason’s parents would buy him a house like this. It was fit for a professional basketball player or celebrity.

“This is Mason’s place.” Dylan through into the air and I only sent her a side glance before looking back at the paintings on the wall and then out the window which took over a whole wall in the living room. You could tell we were really high up by the magnificent view of the city lights.