Epilogue: Umbrella

Jongin

I really hoped this would work out. As appreciative as I was to Chanyeol for letting me stay at the shop, I couldn't see myself staying there any longer. I needed separation between home and work, a place where I could truly unwind and feel comfortable even if that meant having to share space with a roommate.

The rain was only falling slowly when the cafe finally started to come into sight. I crossed a few streets to get there, looking inside to see if I could recognize the guy I was supposed to be meeting. I had only seen his profile picture, but it looked rather old, so there was no telling what he could have looked like. 

But once I caught glimpse of those eyes, I spotted him right away.

He was sitting by the window, his right arm slightly touching the glass. He held a white mug in his hands and his eyes were looking around outside as he slowly lifted it up to his plush, pink lips. The sun peeked through the rain clouds at that very moment, shining a dim but ethereal light on him. I couldn't recall how long I was out there staring at him, but by the time I had snapped out of it, I realized the sun had disappeared and the rain was coming down faster than before. So much for not needing an umbrella.

I ran inside, doing what I could to dry off a little bit before hesitantly walking over to the table he was at. It took him a moment, but he looked up at me and it seemed that he recognized me too because he smiled. 

"Hi," he said, quickly his mug down and standing up to greet me. "You're Kim Jongin, right?" I couldn't answer right away, as I was still somehow in a trance. There was a deep softness to his voice that seemed to warm me up better than any cup of coffee could.

"Y-Yes," I said after a minute. "And you're--"

"Do Kyungsoo." He smiled and held out his hand, prompting me to reach out for it. More warmth instantly spread into my body as I shook it and tried to smile back.

"It's nice to meet you, Kyungsoo."

~ The End ~

A/N

I made some pretty decent changes to the plot, most notably with the ending here. I did have this as the final chapter where I explained Jongin's past with his aunt and uncle, but I felt like getting rid of that part because it felt random to me the way I had it in there if that makes sense? Like I just included it to fill the plot hole, but then I was thinking that could be symbolic of Jongin just not being ready to talk about it yet, so I went with that lol. 

Anyway, I hope you enjoy re-reading or reading this story with the new edits! I'll have to see which one I feel like doing next, but I'll keep you all posted :) Thanks for the support!