Chapter 1

I couldn't breathe. What I once thought was a large room was now suffocating, blocking out my airways, leaving me gasping for breath.

I collapsed on the wooden floor in front of her. The woman I had once loved and who I had claimed as my "home" now seemed like a stranger.

She had lied.

I thought I could trust her with everything and that she could trust me with anything, but apparently not. What happened to the Edith Fuchs I knew?

"I'm sorry," she whispered.

"Why? Why didn't you tell me you were part of the Gestapo of all things! You took part in the Red Orchestra, that's not something you can just UNDO! Our love isn't something you can just UNDO!" I shouted. I felt as if someone had just ripped my heart out. I'd never thought she would do such a thing. "Do you know how much this changes things? The Red Orchestra is supposed to be secret. We're supposed to be spying and working against the Nazis not the other way around!" I said, nearing a whisper, shaking her shoulders.

"I know that! I had no choice though, they forced me to spy on you. They held Gemma against me! You know how much I love that old lady and I know you do too. I'm sorry, but I couldn't let her go!" she cried. By now, tears were streaming down both of our anguished faces.

"So was everything between fake? Were all the things you said just so you would seem innocent to the German Police who are listening in right now? Did you even love me? They know all of the things you swore, you SWORE to keep between us!"

"No, I love you! And I know but I'm sorry." she whimpered in tears, tearing off the necklace that had ended our trust. That stupid necklace she had always refused to take off. I knew why now because I was being watched through the pure black bead in the center of all the once beautiful white pearls.

"I didn't know what to do. I'm sorry," she said again.

"The Germans are probably going to be here by now. They know I'm part of the Red Orchestra. I think it's time for you to leave, I'm practically a dead man walking." I said coldly, turning and walking out of what used to be our bedroom. I needed air, I needed out. This was too much to digest.

"Klaus, please! We're supposed..." she was cut off by the sound of loud banging at the front of our secret home.

"They're here," she said, teary-eyed. "I'm sorry for everything. If I never see you again, please remember that I still love you and I wish things were different. I don't regret falling in love with you these past few weeks but that wasn't supposed to happen."

At that moment, five men stormed into the house through what used to be a dead-bolted door.

"Klaus Stein! You're under arrest on this July 31st, 1943 for conspiring against our country and the almighty Fuhrer! Surrender now or be killed!" shouted a man as footsteps echoed through the house and barged up the stairs to our room.

"I'm sorry," Edith whimpered.

"They're here!" shouted a man outside of our room. The door was kicked open revealing five large men wearing the grey SS (Schutzstaffel/Protection Squadron) uniform with a black right-side collar patch of the RSHA (Reich Main Security Office) and black cuffs with green shoulder boards. They were also all wearing silver warrant discs around their hairy throats and were pointing pistols at us. Me especially. They are the Gestapo then.

"How dare you betray Germany! How dare you betray our people!" shouted the man at the front of the group.

"It was my idea," Edith said suddenly. No.

"I don't know what that man had done to you but whatever he had done has just worsened his punishment. You used to be one of our best spies. He is to be sent to Auschwitz at once!" he shouted.

"No please! Spare him! I forced him to join the Red Orchestra to spy on them, so we know what the enemy is planning! Please spare him!" she begged. She was on her knees now.

"Perhaps I should punish you too then if you insist on helping the enemy. He clearly isn't a true German. He's a coward. He's not even speaking. Arrest them!" the burly man bellowed.

The other four men quickly ran towards us and wrenched our hands painfully behind our backs. My hands were pushed deep against my spine, constricting my lungs against the cold wooden floor. The last thing I remember was my skull hitting the floor before black dots filled my vision.