Twelve O'clock

Emma turned around, "...R-Ray!"
She smiled brightly at the sight of him. It felt like she hadn't seen him in 2 YEARS.
"Who were you peeking in for?"
This was the one thing she didn't want to answer. So she decided to not answer at all, because at this point, even she, herself knows that she's a terrible liar.
She ran into the library behind a bookshelf and hid.
"Wait- why am I hiding? Didn't I want this?"
She stood against the shelf with her back while she heard his footsteps go to his usual table. She decided to muster up some courage and talk to him. She walked around and watched him from behind the shelf. He looked incredibly peaceful just sitting there with his book.
"Ray"
He turns his attention to her soft voice.
But she didn't know why she said his name. It just slipped out on its own.
The darkness with moonlight peering through the windows had been the perfect colour theme for Ray. The room was dark. But the moon reflecting off his black hair made him look beautiful. His eyes and eye brows were narrowed towards her and she couldn't help but stare and admire.
Her mind wandered in her thoughts.
"When did he start looking so... so handsome..?"
Her thoughts made her slightly blush and she bit the inside of her cheek. She finally starts talking with impulse, she wasn't thinking about her word choices anymore.
"Can we, read something together?"
His narrowed eyes had widened just ever so slightly and his face looked more surprised.
"You wanna read with me?"
"Yeah! Um, if you don't mind.."
"Oh, Emma... is that why you had been peering into the library these past couple of days in my direction?" He closed his eyes as he sighed while he smiled at her innocence.

This made her jump with nerves.
"HE KNEW?"
she was easy to read but then she calmed herself down.
She smiles and looked to the side as she fiddled with her shirt. She twisted her toe in her boots. She was extreamly nervous now. Not only that, but she was embarrassed.

He watches her fiddle and his face goes back to a blank. He knew shes been wanting to talk. Which is why he came with his book that night, so out of consideration, decided to not tease her...as much.

Finally, he gestured his fingers to a chair beside him to his right- which surprised her. Emma thought he'd want her to sit across from him, or somewhere else.
"Beside you.?" She mumbled.
He didn't answer but he kept his hand there. His glistening eyes stayed locked on her as he waited for her to take a seat next to him.
Awkwardly, she walked up to him and took a seat.
Before they began, Ray shifted his chair closer so she could see. This made Emma become tense.
They began reading the story from the start. As they read, they naturally moved into a comfortable position where their shoulders gently brushed against each other. He kept his right arm on his lap and she kept her left hand on the edge of the table.
The story was about an angel and demon that had fallen in love. The story was poetic and just as beautiful as the front of the book.
"So this is what Ray likes to read..? Is so.. fancy and sophisticated."
Secretly, her eyes drifted to him, instead of the book.
Reading such a story with Ray was almost breathtaking. After a while his eyes looked back at her and they made eye contact. The elegant vibe had left the book and lingered around Ray. She could almost imagine him in black attair with polished shoes. His reddish eyes would look like gems if there was a rose in his pocket. And his hair would be the perfect match. She imagined him in a suit like that and breathed heavy. She wishes she could see him in one. One day..
She wonders what Ray would do in the human world. How he would dress, how he would live.. if she could live with him.. how lovely that would be.

Realizing she had gotten sidetracked while staring at his eyes, she quickly began to blush at the thought of her childish daydreaming.

She burried her face in her hands and held her head without warning. Confused at what was happening, Ray panics and only sees her red face. Concern ran through his body.

"Emma?" His soft voice calling her name only makes her more flustered.
He takes a solf hold onto both her hands so that they're off her face. She looks at him terrified, knowing he can catch her lies. But he wasn't doing that. He was worried about what happened to her.
Slowly, as he held her hands, he motioned his face towards hers.
"Huh?"
She keeps still and shuts her eyes.
His forehead rests against hers and his slow breathing is caught on her face.
He leaves it there for a while.
A moment passes, and then another.
The clocks ticking wasn't nearly as loud as Emma's throbbing heart.

It felt as though minutes had been ticking away in this position. But the longer they stayed, the more uncomfortable Emma had gotten. Rays eyes are closed while Emma's face heats up even more. Then after a bit, he moved away slightly.

"You don't appear to be sick."

"Huh?"

"I was checking your temperature. And you feel fine"

He releases her hands but keeps eye contact with her.
She could swear she felt her heart pounding not only in her chest but in her ear and it felt like her insides were melting.

When Ray sees Emma's face becoming more flustered, he quickly gets out of his seat and walks away into the middle of the library. There, he stood as the mosaic glass filtered in white light and showered him with elegance.

Emma stands as well, holding her forehead. She's already missing the warmth of his head resting against hers.

Secretly, Ray regrets doing what he did, as he also touched his forehead in embarrassment.

"I am the biggest idiot I know... why'd I do that..."
Emma used her dwindling courage to walk up to him.
"Ray"
He only turns his head to look at her.
"I'm tired, but... I want this moment to last.." she says.
She timidly holds onto the hem of his shirt and he looks at her in shock.
"Can we just stay like this? Just for a few minutes longer? Just until twelve?"
He stuttered but turned around completely to face her.
"I messed up didn't I.." She thinks to herself.
But just as she thinks this, Ray quietly looks down on her and although he didn't check the time, with his soft voice, he replys,
".. okay"

Ray's fingers shift against her hand. His hand changes position and he interlocks his fingers with hers. She's staring at his fingers curl around hers and tilts her head up to look at him.

Emma suddenly starts to panic a little.
His hold on her hands is tight but he made sure it didn't hurt her. Although she only suggested to hold HIS hands, he took it a step further and gripped her fingers softly in return. He looked into her glowing green eyes as she returned the gaze.

Their moment was quiet, and peaceful. The moon's light was the only illumination in the room. In a while, it began to darken as a cloud started to hide it's light.
They stared into each other until the library had slowly gotten completely dark.

Emma couldn't see. If she was alone, in a normal situation, she would probably feel insecure in the darkness. Not that she was scared, but Ray's compassionate hold on her made her feel safe.
The darkness felt so right. They stayed quiet.

The clock struck 12 and the bell echoed through the silence. It was as if it's ringing broke a magical spell.. like it broke a dream, a fantasy.. she wishes she said, "12:10"... or atleast "12:05." But still, she was so happy. Even though her time has ended.. she was so happy. Those moments were so perfect. She wishes she could relive all of it, but obviously, thats impossible. All she heard after the sound was...
"Emma.."
She knew what he was going to say. She knew it was late.. before he could continue, she replyed,
"Yeah"

And they leave the library. He walks Emma to her room upstairs, still holding her hand.

"Goodnight, Emma."
"Goodnight, Ray"

As he turned to leave, her quiet voice spoke.
"Sorry for your time.."
He stopped for a few seconds before saying,

"It was well spent, Emma."

She blushed as he closed the door and left.
She smiles to herself while holding her chest. Her heart was beating faster.