A Hunt For The Truth

Quinn, 3rd person

Quinn was a relatively social girl. She enjoyed interacting with her peers, and liked people as a general collective. However, most people didn't like her as she was transgender person in a Jesus school. She liked the concept of God, the idea that there was a good force making this terrible world better. And you couldn't deny it, the world was terrible. She thought of the world like a smashed mirror. It was possible to put it back together, and to you could still use bits of it like it was intended, but all in all it was still broken. The idea of God gave Quinn a bit of hope that there could be a nice place afterwards. She was mostly white, a quarter Chinese. She still looked white and also happened to be blonde, and she knew this gave her advantages a lot of others didn't have.

She didn't believe that there was any actual magic or any of that on Earth though, until a week ago.

Jamie had been somebody Quinn liked for most of the last two years. They were very strong about the fact that they were nonbinary, and they didn't put up with shit from anybody. They seemed okay being by themselves, but Quinn knew that everybody wanted some kid of connection. Quinn had not yet admitted her feelings towards Jamie, and wasn't planning on doing so until this year's valentine's day.

All that changed for Quinn when the strange eyed boy ran in, snapped the class into forgetting him and Jamie, and ran off with her crush. Quinn sat in the front of the class, so she had seen him up close. He looked like an emo kid with contact lenses, and had disliked him as soon as he had called Jamie 'doll.' She'd asked some classmates about him, but gave up when she realized that none of them remembered the boy. Even Mr. Jamison had forgotten who he had so blatantly yelled at when he came back inside after running off to find the security guard.

She had most of her classes with Jamie, and so she was annoyed when the same small boy had enrolled in the school and sat right behind them. They whispered for the whole class, the other new boy piping in every once and a while. The two strangers seemed close with Jamie, which made Quinn glare at the two in distaste.

They then both decided to sit with Jamie at lunch, only upsetting Quinn more. They were all laughing and talking, and to make it worse, Jamie hugged the taller of the two boys when he started looking downtrodden. They're just friends, she told herself. Dont be a jealous jerk. They're allowed to hang out with other people.

Despite this, Quinn continued to spy on them for the rest of the week. The tall brown boy caught her looking at all three of them, waved hesitantly. He didn't tell either of the other two, at least not then.

On Friday, the small boy caught her looking, and gave a little knowing smirk. He gestured his head at Jamie, and when Quinn went pink he chuckled a bit. He also didn't tell the other two. During lunch that day, the two boys came up to talk to her right as the bell rang.

"We told Jamie we were getting water. You got a thing for them?" The smaller boy was giving a look that proved he already knew the answer. Quinn was bright red.

The tall boy rubbed his neck. "We won't get in the way, you know. We don't like them like that..."

Quinn stared. "But... they hugged you. And sit with you every day at lunch. Why wouldn't you like them, they're awesome."

The boy with sunglasses giggled. "Because the two of us are dating." He grabbed onto the taller boy's arm. The taller boy was looking away in mild embarrassment. Quinn was pink and looked sheepish. "I'm so sorry."

The tall boy laughed. The short stared at him like he hadn't heard that in a while. "What's your name?" Said the tall brown boy.

"Quinn," said Quinn.