Chapter 5

The way home was simple enough. Follow the road towards the glowing dark blue light; it had a Wizards of Oz vibe to it. However, the path to the blue light was blocked by the zombie looking people from the bar. How they were able to get ahead of us is beyond me, but I can't dwell too much on it now. I need to put my full attention on getting home.

As we got closer to the blue light, the crowd of people became clearer, and there were so many more of them, then I expected. We skidded to a stop and now being able to see them in bright and more natural light, I could see that they weren't in fact zombie looking. It was just the light from the club restaurant we were at earlier. It made them seem slightly less frightening, but for some unknown reason, they wouldn't let us leave.

"Intruders" One shouted

"and imposters" a feminine voice added.

Everyone seemed to stop and look at the person who called out imposters. No one looked as if they understood what she was implying. The crowd looked back and forth between us and the feminine voice before setting the stares on the female voice.

She pushed her way through the crowd, and as she got closer to the front, she grew familiar. My eyes grew wider than I thought possible as she came to a stop right in front of Ethan, Mason, Sophie and I. She did a once over of all of us before turning to the crowd.

"This girl is a replica of my Alexis. " This realities version of Ally Morgan, my mum, yelled, so everyone could hear her and pointed to me. "Except, my Alexis is at home right now."

There was an audible gasp hear amongst the crowd, and I focused my gaze on the buildings around us. Ally started to speak again, but all I could focus on was everyone's eyes on me, and I shifted my weight from foot to foot, feeling uncomfortable from the stares.I've always hated attention, ever since I was little. My dad would tell me that my mum was like that; she always avoided being the centre of attention. She would do many good deeds but never take credit for it. She would say that anyone would do the same. When my dad first told me this about mum, I declared to myself that I wanted to be the same, and when I voiced my thoughts to my dad, he had said: "You already are." My smile was so bright you would think it could like up an entire apartment building.

I look back at this realities version of 'my mum'; jealousy fills my stomach and thoughts of how unfair life can be, cloud my mind, but as quickly as the ideas come they go as I remind myself that this is an alternate reality. No one is at fault for the way things turned out.

A tug on my arm bought me back into the moment. I stumble over both feet and looked back to study the crowd around me and see that our hands were cuffed, and three bouncers appeared next to Sophie, Mason and Ethan, placing a meaty hand tightly around their elbows, while my 'mum' had her soft hand around my elbow. She didn't have a stronghold like the bouncers; however, you could tell that if I tried to escape, she could quickly stop me. She kept pulling me into the direction of a street full of modern looking houses. My mind was racing, and I started hyperventilating unsure of where I was being taken. Looking over my shoulder, I saw Mason, Sophie and Ethan being pulled in the opposite direction. We all had matching expressions, pleading for us all to be safe.

After a few minutes, I fell into step with 'my mum', and I took in the scenery speeding past us as we half walked - half jogged.

"Where are you taking me?"

"Just stay quiet, and I'll tell you when it's safe to talk" she replied in a hushed tone.

I opened my mouth to say something but with a quick glance at her face; I saw her begging with her eyes, telling me to listen to her and that it's for my own safety. It could also be for the protection of my friends. I closed my mouth and looked straight ahead, taking in the greenery that hadn't been there before.