Chapter 5: I Trusted You

When Caleb awoke the next morning, he was surprised to find a Demon Smith crouched in front of him, holding something wrapped in burlap. Caleb sat up groggily, too tired to register the sound of Ire launching herself off the tree branch and moving toward the pale humanoid before Caleb.

The Smith uncovered the burlap-covered object, revealing a four-foot long sword. The handle and crossguard were bone-white, as was the sheath. The Smith drew the sword, revealing a blade that was made of a translucent material. Somehow, the blade seemed to give off a faint light.

Ire crept towards the Demon Smith, and her knife flashed, separating the head from its body, leaving Caleb stunned. The sword landed on a rock, and sliced through it like the rock had never been there. Caleb picked it up, and carefully placed it in the sheath.

"You should have woken me up. He was going to kill you." Ire said, sounding a little out of breath.

"No, he wasn't. He made me this sword." Caleb replied, the blade and sheath steadily darkening. He clipped it to his belt, and turned away from Ire. "We're heading to the capital. Be ready to leave." Caleb continued.

Ire nodded, and the two began walking towards the capital.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After several hours, the duo reached the capital, with its gleaming walls and towering mansions. They entered the gates, where Caleb noted several guard's expressions change to those of alarm upon seeing the boy.

Just before the two entered the city, Caleb was tackled and forced to the ground by a dozen guards.

"Caleb Tepes, for your crimes against our beautiful kingdom, and daring to sully the capital, you are under arrest. We're taking you and your companion to the palace, where you, Tepes, can rot in the prison below." A guardsman shouted, his voice strained by Caleb's bucking and swearing.

Eventually, Caleb relaxed, and the guards dragged him away while Ire followed. Eventually, Ire and Caleb were split up. A guard took Ire to the throne room, while a group of them dragged a swearing Caleb to the prison.

When Ire reached the throne room, there was an elegant figure sitting on a golden throne with intricate details of suns, stars, and moons. The male sitting on the honored chair was around the age of 21, two years older than she was. He had brown hair and green eyes that stared at the girl with great confidence.

He was entirely too fascinated with her glowing violet eyes that he'd forgotten to give his greetings. Fixing up his outfit and his crown, he began to stand up, putting his hand on his chest and bowing slightly at the waist. As he went down the steps to the girl, he put his hand on her chin and pulled her into himself, wrapping his other arm around her waist.

"It's been entirely too long, my dearest," he sighed, gazing into her eyes, "You've left me alone, and when you finally do come back to me, it's with blasted Caleb Tepes. Have you any idea how dangerous he is?"

"To what do I owe the pleasure, princey?" Ire asked, placing emphasis on the nickname she'd given to him even if she didn't give a smile.

On the other hand, he began to grin softly and offered his arm to her. She took it, making him stick out his chest in pride. He escorted her through the halls of the palace, dismissing anyone who tried to come near him. At that moment, he was entirely focused on the beauty on his arm, not wishing to be interrupted.

As he sat her on the bed of his room, she turned to him, her usual serious expression plastered on her face. She only began to lay down on the bed, trying to figure out how to phrase her question to him. Yet the brunette only hovered over her, caressing her cheeks and neck appreciatively. Ire didn't move against him, but she certainly disliked the strange gestures.