Accident

The doors to Lex's elevator open and Lex steps out of it into his office. Lex's chair behind his desk is turned away from the elevator, facing out at the windows which look out over Metropolis. Brainiac/Vril Dox is sitting in the chair staring out into the city.

"Hmm. Primitive post-industrial society inhabited by a high level primate species. Barely worth the trip."  Vril says to no one in particular.

Lex walks up to his desk, "Who the hell are you and how did you get in here?"

Vril Dox spins the chair around to face Lex. Vril is a green-skinned alien with a protective head gear around the base of his cranium and he's dressed in what resembles a white suit robe. The top of his head looks like the top of a green brain.

"But apparently it's not without its bright spots." Vril says as he gets up from Lex's chair and begins to walk around Lex's desk, "Lex Luthor I presume?"

Lex does not respond.

"I am Vril Dox, of the planet Colu. After I received your message, I initiated an investigative probe of your information centres to familiarize myself with your customs and rituals. As I understand it, a first meeting is often celebrated by what you call a handshake." Vril says, extending his hand in greeting, "Vril Dox."

Lex looks down at the green hand being extended to him and shakes it.

"Lex Luthor."

"I believe the phrase is, it's a pleasure to meet you. Especially since you appear to be one of the most advanced of your species. From what I've seen so far, these other primates appear incapable of decoding such a complicated mathematical equation. They simply don't appear to have the brain power." Vril says.

"Well I've always liked to think of myself as exceptional." Lex suggests.

"And on this planet, you appear to be just that. I'd be curious to know how you managed to detect my ship from such a large distance away, let alone send the response you sent with your technology." suggests Vril.

"And I wouldn't mind sharing that information with you. Assuming you wouldn't mind answering a few questions of my own." Lex says.

"A thirst for knowledge. Now there's something I can relate to."

Lex and Vril continue to idly shake hands for a moment of silence.

*               *               *

Young Lex is standing over his mother's grave at her funeral. The tombstone has already been erected, and it reads 'Lillian Luthor, loving mother and devoted wife'. An older man is standing next to Young Lex. He puts his hand on Young Lex's shoulder.

"I'm sorry Alexander."

The background changes to inside a room.

*               *               *

An older man has his hand on Young Lex's shoulder. Young Lex is looking down at a box of possessions in front of him.

"I'm sorry but it's gone. We had to sell it just to make sure that the company
stayed afloat the way your parents would've wanted it to so you could
inherit it one day. And we're not even certain that it will be enough."

"But it's my home. Where am I supposed to go?" questions Young Lex.

"We'll find you a place."

Young Lex picks up the box of possessions and follows the older man out of the room.

*                  *               *

Young Lex is shoved to the ground by the main bully of the group that have surrounded him outside the Metropolis Orphanage.