Days as Cindy-Lou {5}

Monday, 23rd December

"So you're going away to celebrate Christmas Eve in New York?" Finn asked as he was munching on yet another box of tic tacs. "What about this super lavish-extravagant-Seuss-dress up party of yours? I hope it's not canceled" I sensed the dripping sarcasm in his voice as he smiled after that.

He made me blush with that freaking smile. Again. But, I rolled my eyes.

It's my fourth meeting with Finn tonight. Meeting him in these few nights is probably one of the things I look forward to. I mean, I find talking to Finn sort of calming and the idea of being the only person to know our mysterious neighbor is exhilarating somewhat. Overall Finn has a very easy and chill persona I think.

I find it quite lucky as well, our meeting. The nights were not brutally cold. Thank goodness for Hawkins's weather for that and the most breathtaking of all—the stars: the scattering shimmery dots across the night sky that reminds me of the soft freckles on Finn's face. Don't get any ideas but I admire his looks so freaking much.

I was just telling him that he won't be seeing me for a couple of nights. I had to tell him at least. Although I don't think he'll be missing me. We are barely acquainted but I'm glad he seems to be comfortable talking and opening up to me. I feel the same way.

"Grandma paid for everything and that's one tough offer to decline Finn" I am trying to sell the idea of going away for Christmas Eve someplace else whilst planning for a big party, well, plausible. "Besides, we've never been to New York or anywhere else since we moved here"

He nodded but looked at me skeptically while pouring another round of tic tacs into his mouth.

"And don't worry about our extravagant party, dear neighbor. We pushed the date to the 27th, which reminds me," I reached into the pockets of my oversized sweater for his invitation card as well as a piece of ornament shaped cookie we give out together with the invites.

I put the cookie inside the envelope making it as a weight. It's easier to throw a slightly heavy object then to simply throw a piece of lightweight paper to your anxiety filled neighbor on a roof about a few feet away from you. I don't want to risk the invite gliding away down the drain beneath us.

"Catch" I said to him and he heeded. He caught the invite and might've broken the cookie. We shared a little laugh. "There, I told you before, the invitation is open to you too"

I watch him as he took his time staring at the invitation card that I've designed and the—thankfully— still intact sugar cookie. The way he stared at the items in his hands was as if those were valuables. He then ran a hand through his long messy curls, tucking them behind his ear and I can see his eyes. I saw that twinkle again. He's pleased.

"Thank you, Millie" he finally said. "I'll be there," he paused, "and I'll return the lights!"

Wow.

Am I dreaming or am I witnessing a Christmas miracle here? Did I really manage to get the Grinch out from his cave AND get him to return all of the missing lights? What about his extreme anxiety issue?

"Really? You would?" I questioned simply.

He nodded. "This is the best thing someone has ever done to me, on my birthday nonetheless"

Double wow.

"Finn! I could've gotten you something if you had told me!" I didn't realize how surprised I sounded. "Happy birthday!"

He chuckled, looking away from me. I didn't realize I was staring at him but before I could look away I think I saw a tinge of pink on his cheeks. I think I'm blushing too.