Nine

The dark lord...I could feel his presence. I still couldn't see anything. The blindfold over my eyes started to itch and I went to move it.

"Stop!" He bellowed.

I froze, fingers at the bottom of the cloth. Swallowing, I whispered, "If the room is dark  then why can't I see?"

"Because I want to look at you."

And with that, I heard him light a match. I smelled smoke and sensed a warmth near my face as he brought a candle closer. He had a different feel to him than the dark prince. Instead of boisterous and troublesome, he was calm. I sensed his strength. He smelled of winter pine and snow.

But it was summer!

"You are quite beautiful, Opal."

"Thank you." I went to move, but I felt a hand tug my chin up. "Don't. Sit very still."

I obeyed, allowing him to tilt my head left, right, up and down. "Very beautiful indeed."

Finally, I pulled away. "I'm not some brood mare to check for sale!"

"Certainly not." He circled me slowly. I could hear the rustling of a cape and the clink of metal ornaments. He must wear boots, for I heard his footsteps on the wood floor. "Very brave of you to be here, Opal. I'm sure you're well aware you took a risk."

"Yes." I swallowed again. My throat felt drier than sand. "B - but nothing is set, you see. I can still say no "

"What!" He sounded taken aback. "That was not part of the deal!"

"It was! It is ...I mean," what did I mean? "You didn't expect my parents to just give me away. We're...to...court."

Silence. I felt him laugh. Then I heard him laugh. "Courtship? That's why you're here? To live under my roof in a courtship? Bother." Still laughing, he backed away. "What was Nell thinking ?"

"That it's a good idea." I defended immediately. He couldn't very well blame the dark prince. This was my idea! "I deserve better than an arranged marriage."

"Oh, you do?" He sneered. "What is it that you think you deserve then?"

I took a breath. "Love."

"Pah! Only fools left to still believe in that are the peasants who've nothing left to live for."

"Those peasants are still my people! And they're not fools! They've found love. I think I can. Don't you?"

"Not with me, Opal. I'm not a very lovable fellow."

"I don't know." I smirked. "You seem alright to me."

It became silent another long moment. Then I asked, "Can I take this off now? It's dreadfully hot."

"As you wish." And I heard him blow out the candle.