Thirteen

Prince Nell had me somewhat disturbed. I spent most of the day by myself, touring the courtyard and checking on the gardens of closed moonflowers and lilies. Even the gardens love the dark.

It smelled amazing out here, different than at home. The sky took on a purplish hue where the sun shine through the clouds, dark green pine towering above a blue mist that snaked over a rustic pebble trail. One could get lost in those woods. I imagined that many had.

"Many lives have been lost touring the forest." The dark prince Nell spoke in my ear.

I jumped and he laughed. "you're awfully skittish."

"Go away!" And I meant it. How dare he sneak up on me! "It's bad enough you treat me like a ball of yarn, but I need my space too."

"A ball of yarn? Are you saying you hate to be batted around?" His hand snaked around my waist, squeezing me at the hip. His lips came close to my ear again, voice husky and low. "Or are you just waiting to be unwound?"

No. Not this time. I spun away, nose in the air, and headed for the trees. "I think I'll go for a walk."

"Sure you want to be traveling those woods?" He watched me go with a trouble some grin. "Careful you don't sing too casually. Animals aren't uncommon, but they're a might different than innocent deer and bunnies. The trees love to talk."

What does he know? I don't sing.