Chapter 2

It was a warm and cloudy day, the perfect day for my outfit I felt. As I continued to walk towards my favourite café on Central Avenue, I decided to take this opportunity to let the memories of the dream flood back to me. What did it mean? Why did it continuously happen? But, one question kept replaying over and over in my head; Why did the scream sound so familiar? "BOO!" I jumped at the sound and spun around to see my friend Scarlet doubling over with laughter. "You should've seen your face." She gasped between breathes. "You're an asshole!" I said while chuckling. Scarlet was dressed in her usual denim jeans, black t-shirt with her signature adidas zip up sweater. Her brunette hair was up in a bun as well. We've been best friends since we were 4 years old, we knew each other like the back of our hands. That's why it didn't surprise her when I told her I had the same dream. "It's only a dream, don't look too hard into it." She told me again for the 50th time since it first started. My mind still kept asking the questions and I couldn't stop because I had a weird feeling about the dream, It felt so real, but, I mean, the majority of dreams feel real; right? "Candace. Earth to Candace." Scarlet said as she was waving her hand in front of my face. "Huh? Did you say something?" I asked puzzled. She just chuckled, "I was wondering if you wanted to go to a different café." She pointed over at Velvet Café, following where she was pointing, I saw that there was a crowd of hysterical people. I looked at her and shook my head yes, even though it's my favourite café, Scarlet knew that big crowds weren't my style. 

We continued to walk down Central Avenue some more until we reached Tim's Café, we've been there once or twice before, but not enough to really feel at home the way we do at Velvet.  We walk in and we're surrounded by the smell of coffee and the numerous pastries, it's almost nauseating, but it has a calming effect to it. We make our way to the lineup, the sound of people talking and people typing on their computers fills the air. I look around as we're waiting to approach the counter to order; it looks cozy, but nothing like the Velvet's décor and homey feeling. Light music was playing softly above the sound of the chatter and the typing, the vibrant lights where bright enough for you to see, but not bright enough to cause you to get a headache. We finally got to the counter and we ordered our usual iced cappuccinos and chocolate croissants, after we paid, we went to find a seat.

A little while later we decided to leave and go our separate ways. "Bye, Scar." I yelled because she was already a decent length away from me. "Cya later." She yelled back and through up a peace sign, I chuckled to myself and rolled my eyes, typical Scarlet. I walked down the stairs to the train station platform because I wasn't ready to go home just yet. As I reached the platform a sudden wave of fear rushed over me, I realized I hadn't really thought about my dream much in Scarlet's presence and now that she was gone, and I was in a dark subway it all came slowly creeping in. My breathing became rapid, my chest became tight, tears threatened to fall from my eyes. "Are you okay?" A sudden voice asked me, I turned towards the voice and saw a girl around my age with blonde hair, she was wearing black lululemon leggings, a grey t-shirt with a red and black flannel. "I'm fine." I replied while trying to hide the fact that I was trying to regain my breath. She just looked me over and shrugged, "I'm Amelia.' She said while holding out her hand. "Candace." I replied softly. The silence between us was soon broken by the screeching of the train's brakes. Thank god, was all that went through my mind. I walked towards the train cart the same time Amelia did; she let out a slight giggle. "After you." She said while doing a little bow and gesturing towards the open cart door. I chuckled slightly and walked in, not knowing exactly where I was going just yet, but knowing that I didn't want to face my house.