Chapter 1

"You'll never be a true racer, you're just a kid."
Those sour words stung, as well as all of the other words they said. 'I didn't deserve to be subjected to those other racers, I'm better than them' I'd remind myself.
        The sun laid low, falling as stars began to show in the sky, and the color of the sky was painted orange and pink, it reminded me of a renaissance esque world. I gave a deep sigh, running a hand through my raven black curly locks, squishing all of the water and soap from the sponge. I had been washing cars for months now, as that was my only source of income. I had to save up for racing gear, anyways.
     "You're done, sir." I said, moving my cleaning supplies to the left of me. "Decent job, kid." Said the man inside of the car, tapping the bud of his cigarette, letting ash fly to the ground. "Sorry bud, I ain't got shit on me," He said, and I was in disbelief that I had let another serpent scam me. "Take this though," He spoke, tossing me a pack of cigarettes, and giving me a wink before he sped off. I had caught the box in my hands, as I glanced over the labels, and took one out.
         I finished the last puff of the cigarette, before dropping it and stomping on it with my leather boots, killing the last spark in it. I had put on a coat, and sprayed cologne on my neck to mask the smell of the cigarette, Gale would've killed me if I showed up to her house dressed in rags and carried an aroma of smoke with me.
      Whilst walking home, I passed by liquor stores, shops, and whatnot. I pulled up the hoodie from my jacket, as the cold wind tickled my face. The sky had gotten darker, as   criminals and freaks began to prowl around the streets. I had begin to walk faster, letting my past behind as I rushed home.
     My boots clicked as I stepped up onto the patio, stepping onto the welcome mat beneath me and wiping the dirt, and grime that piled up. "Hey Gale, I'm back," I announced, stepping into the perfectly cleaned house. "Hey Jackson," I heard her voice from the kitchen, her voice was sweet, like honey. It always gave me a sense of comfort.
       "So what'd you make today?" She asked, stepping out of the kitchen, adjusting her trucker hat. I shuffled my feet, "Nothing much, just a few dollars." I lied, playing with my pack of cigarettes in my coat pocket. "Well that's good! Better than nothing." She walked up to me and patted me on the shoulder with her soft hands, as I smiled at her. I had always appreciated Gale. She had supported me, and all of my dreams of becoming a racer. She was a motherly figure to me ever since I ran away from home.   
       I had panned my eyes over to the television, as it had caught my attention. "Lightning Mcqueen has won yet another Piston Cup!" A reporter on the T.V announced with sheer excitement riddled in his voice. My eyes lit up, as I walked over towards the T.V.
     "That'll be you one day," Gale spoke, as I looked over at her. A faint smile formed on my face, "One day," I repeated, as I continued to watch the highlights of the race.

    I had woken up to the sound of birds humming their melodic tones, as the sunlight pried through the window, lying on the carpeted floor like gold. My grey eyes adjusted to the light, as I sat up slowly. I took in a deep breath, stretching as I set aside the blankets that covered my pale body.   
      I grabbed my phone that had sat lazily on my desk, as I checked what notifications had appeared. All that I could see was news articles about Lightning Mcqueen's recent win, as it filled my inbox. With curiosity, and a thirst for advice, I had clicked on a post. "How does he do it? Famous race car driver 'Lightning Mcqueen' has won yet another Piston Cup!" I read the words as my eyes scanned across the page. "Yeah, how does he do it?" I murmured to myself quietly with hints of curiosity in my voice.
    After hours drifted by, I had heard Gale's voice call me from the kitchen. Usually, she'd quietly walk in to tell me about something, but this was different. I had slipped my phone in my back pocket of my jeans, and threw on a jacket as quick as I could. I darted down the hall and into the kitchen where she surprised me with a quick embrace. "I have a surprise for you," She spoke sweetly, and relief washed over my face as I quickly became curious.
    Gale took my hand softly and lead me towards the parking garage, and my thoughts began to wondered. "Close your eyes," She said, a huge smile not leaving her features. As I stepped down into the garage, I felt a cold breeze caress my body. "Keep them closed!" Said Gale, excitement in her voice. "I am, I am" I replied with a chuckle, keeping my cold bare hands over my eyes. "Open them!" She exclaimed, as her grip on my hand left.    
    I sat in awe as I was in disbelief of the view on front of me. Excitement filled my veins as my mouth was agape. "You got me a car?" I yelled out in happiness, as a squeal emerged from Gales throat, pleased with my reaction. "Not just any car, it's a race car! And it's extremely high tech, it's a new model!" Gale explained as my eyes only lit up more. The car was dressed in a black, raven color. I admired the features of the vehicle, as I ran my hand across the hood of it. The texture almost felt like silk against my fingers, the glass was like crystals. "I love it," I spoke loudly, turning around to face her. I embraced Gale, hugging her as tightly as I could. "Thank you," I murmured against her shirt, as I felt her arms wrap around my figure. "You're welcome, dear." She said, rubbing my back gently.    
    As I broke the hug, I went back to admire the car even more. I couldn't even comprehend the sheer amount of excitement I had. Having a legible race car meant that I could begin my racing career now. It was finally my time.