Chapter 19

1 week later

Rhett's POV

I woke up and drove straight to the hospital. Jessie and Josie were coming home today. They got discharged this morning. I just had to fill in some paperwork. I got Locke and Shepherd in the car and we drove over.

***

At the Hospital

Jessie's POV

Rhett, Locke and Shepherd came into the hospital room where I was packing my stuff. It was just the blood and sweat stained clothes that I was wearing when I was taken to the hospital. Rhett brought me some clean clothes to wear. I got changed and went to the desk where Rhett was filling out discharge papers. I gave him a quick kiss.

The nurse told me to follow her to Josie's room. Once there, she unconnected Josie from all the machines that helped her stay alive, but she didn't need them anymore. She was healthy and happy just like me. The nurse picked up Josie and handed her to me. She was dressed in a little pink onesie and a little pink hat to cover her hairless head. I rocked her in my arms gently.

"Hi baby Josie." I cooed. Her wonder filled, brown eyes gleamed back at me. "You and I can come home now." I said. The nurse stood there smiling. She motioned for me to come with her. She took me back to the desk where I had to sign the discharge paper. I signed and we went home.

***

I carried Josie through the front door. It felt great to be home. I hadn't been here in a little more than a week. I carried Josie through the entire house. Eventually I ended up back at the front door where Rhett stood.

"Happy to be back?" he asked. I nodded. And that's when the tears fell. Rhett gave me a side hug because I was holding Josie. "It's ok. Your both healthy now." I smiled.

"I know." I looked up at my tall, handsome husband. "Their tears of joy." Rhett looked down at me and smiled. I buried my face in the side of his arm. "I love you."

"I love you too." He replied. He leaned down and kissed me.

I was home.